Powder brown really sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbsoluteFaye

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got a powder brown last week. He was eating, looking great, and this morning he's swimming near the top and looks like this. Dark splotches on him and possibly ich but I can't tell. I doubt he'll make it but what can I do to save my other fish?
75 gal tank
2- 1050 PH
Sump with live rock rubble
Ammonia, trites, trates 0, ph is 8.1

Attachments

• image-22834372.jpg
    image-22834372.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 103
  • image-3667877461.jpg
    image-3667877461.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 125
Well he's dead now. I figured. But the tomini tang that we bought from the same store (same tank even at the store) is showing the same signs. We have live rock, inverts and corals so I can't do anything to main tank. What would be the smallest QT that could house a 3" foxface, two small ocellaris clowns, a scooter blenny, tomini tang and pj cardinal? Also does a QT need live rock? I don't have one set up and I don't even know if it has to cycle. This hobby is more stressful then it is fun! After what I went through the past few weeks with hurricane sandy and no power, this is the icing on the cake.

I'm sorry for your loss, and about hurricane sandy .

A 29-40 gallon would be the best bet for a QT. And for a QT tank you do not need sand or live rock, it has to be bare bottom. A flower pot would do just fine. The tank does need to be cycled as well.

Well I guess I don't have time to cycle. I'm setting up the QT now. Gonna raise the temp to 82 and put salinity to 1.01. Drip acclimate fish then add them and copper. Also I was gonna cut up some filter media and add it to the filter in the QT to add bacteria and add some instant reef bacteria too. I'll just do frequent water changes and watch the ammonia. It's the best I can do because I was dumb not to have the QT ready before.

Do not combine hyposalinity and copper treatments . That's a quick way to kill all your fish . Skip the raised temp as this does nothing for marine ich. Also hypo isn't 1.001 it's 1.008.

Yup thanks. Just found that out from a friend. I'll just treat with copper. Thank you guys. Any other recommendations?

Another myth I'm afraid. Cleaner shrimp and wrasse do not clean ich off a fish just dead tissue from the ich .

Remember the.hobby will give back what u put into it. Always prepare for the things that can happen have a generator this makes life a lot easier in bad weather, keep back up pumps for yur return for not if when yours fails it a snap to replace they normally fail when lfs are closed lol why I don't know but they do... Always qt all fish no matter what this is the most important thing u can do to prevent this kinda outbreak in your dt... Stay up on all your main and never rush it ...follows these simple rules and I promise 99% of your heart aches and flustrations will be solved and u will enjoy this hobby for years to come ;)

Back
Top Bottom