Problems With My Brain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonzo82

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had this closed brain for a while. I know it looks really bad but i am fairly broke and it was really cheap b/c they guy said it was dead but it still had some polyps alive so i thought i would give it a shot. It looks a lot better than it did and it has some new growth starting. Initially i though that these things might be the sweeper tenacle but now i am starting to second guess myself. My question is what are these things that are coming out of the coral. They both will come out during the day cycle and stay out all night.
1. What is the fan looking thing that is refracting the light. There are about 5 of these that i can see on the coral.
2. What type of worm is that coming out of the coral. It will retract and then come back out sort of like a sliky.

What should i do about these or am i just being paranoid.

And yea i had a cyano problem but i took care of that, those are old pics. I think i was overfeeding or something. Dont know vaccumed it out and it is gone now.

Attachments

• brain2_283.jpg
    brain2_283.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 72
  • brain3.jpg
    brain3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 103
Those look like fan worms of some type and nothing to worry about. The brain looks like it can recover from it's ordeal. Looks good. I'm currently recovering an open brain coral too, though a different species. Mine is a single polyp open brain. Red flesh with a green center and a black area of pigment along one of the sides. It's pretty small. Only about 2" to 3" in diameter.

Gonzo82 said:
1. What is the fan looking thing that is refracting the light. There are about 5 of these that i can see on the coral.
If they retract then I'd agree on a type of worm. If not then I would suspect a type of Bryozoa or more likely Foramanifera. All relatively harmeless although if to close to fleshy areas can be an irritant.

2. What type of worm is that coming out of the coral. It will retract and then come back out sort of like a sliky.
Peanut worms are very good. They are not predaceous in the least and of no concern.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks i was getting kinda worried. i thought that they might start ot inhibit the corals ability to regenerate its colonies

The dead skelatal parts will not regenerate. The coral will grow over the old parts given time.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom