Pulsing xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Missy19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got a pulsing Xenia 2 days ago and for the first 24 hours it was pulsing away. When I switched the lights in the tank to the LEDs it seemed to close up a little. This morning it wasn't pulsing as much. I fed the corals and it perked up slightly but is now barely pulsing. Is this normal?

Xenia is a pretty moody coral... Either it dies for no reason or you cant kill it. I think you may have it in a place where it is getting too much light? They are like GSP... High flow and low light corals. Make sure your tank doesnt get too hot... Your xenia will melt like mine did... :(

Our tank has been fluctuating between 76 and 82 degrees...slowly. When we got the corals 2 days ago, we started leaving the different lights on 24 hours. One of the lights has a fan as they get hot, so I assume that accounts for the temp fluctuation. I'll try moving it and see what happens

Missy19 said:
Our tank has been fluctuating between 76 and 82 degrees...slowly. When we got the corals 2 days ago, we started leaving the different lights on 24 hours. One of the lights has a fan as they get hot, so I assume that accounts for the temp fluctuation. I'll try moving it and see what happens

Lights should never be left on 24hrs and likely explains the problem. Also switching to higher lighting suddenly will have effects.

We have a new Biocube and some people were suggesting leaving blue LEDs on all night to simulate moonlight, then turn on the actinic lights followed by the 10k daylights to simulate the rising/setting sun and moonlight. What would u recommend?

Missy19 said:
We have a new Biocube and some people were suggesting leaving blue LEDs on all night to simulate moonlight, then turn on the actinic lights followed by the 10k daylights to simulate the rising/setting sun and moonlight. What would u recommend?

What blue LED's are you referring to? Unless they are specifically moonlights then they do the same thing your actinics do and are too powerful to be left on 24hrs.

Missy19 said:
They're called lunar blue LEDs

Brand name? Wattage? Lunar blue does not necessarily mean moonlights..... Anything over a couple watts and i would not keep them on 24/7

I have to check. We don't keep the LEDs on 24 hours. We cycle the lights throughout the day/night. Tonight we turned off all the lights to see if it helps. We have a Biocube

Back
Top Bottom