Purple Fading? What's going on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I came home today and found my water in my 12 gallon eclipse was a little cloudy. I also noticed my coralline algae has faded some.
What should i do?
I tested my water and everything is fine.

I didn't know coralline algae could fade. I'm scared it's something serious.
And my inverts seem a little slugish. They are not moving as much as they did before.

Thanks guys.

what all did you test your water for?
What were the results?
What is your light schedule like?
low Ca or light can cause it to fade but not in a day.

water in my 12 gallon eclipse was a little cloudy.....And my inverts seem a little slugish
Sounds like something drastic has happened. Get back with the test results

actually, unless there are corals in the tank, there is no "normal" schedule for lights. Alot of people just turn lights on for viewing. Although no lighting would contribute to the loss of coraline, having it on for 8 hours should be sufficient. I would be more concerned about the cause of cloudy water. Do you have macro in the tank? Another thought about the coraline, it can bleach/fade from too much lighting. Have you recently changed out bulbs? Is it bleaching high in the tank and not so much below?

Hara, I have never changed the bulb. I just stared at my tank for about and hour. And yes, the purple has faded more in direct light areas. on the spots where there isn't direct light hitting the rocks it is still bright purple. I did put some plants in the tank that were given to me by a local reefer about 2 weeks ago. I will post a pic of the plants i was given. Could those plants be the cause? and no, i dont know what kind of plants they are.

look up images of caulerpa, feather caulerpa, razor caulerpa, caulerpa prolifera...my guess is the cloudiness is due to the plants going sexual. If this is the case, you should really do a nice water change to be on the safe side.

Looks like grape, and feather caulerpa to me. Will go sexual. I would be making some water up pronto. It can destroy your water quality. Especially in a small tank

I went to my local fish store and bought about 6 more lbs of LR and did a nice PWC and water cleared up in about an hour.
What was that about? Did the biological filtration take over and clean things up?
Also Where can i get a good pirce on a water test kit? The LFS is sellin each individual test for 14.00 i thought that was kinda pricy.

no, that is about normal for test kit prices. doing the water change got rid of the algae spores in the water, or enough of them to where it no longer looked cloudy.

regular pruning will help. if it is kept in a sump, lights on 24/7 will keep it from happening. Other than that, I really do not know of anything except removing it from your tank.

Back
Top Bottom