Purple tang dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My fish would also get little bursts of energy where I thought oh oh oh he is gonna be ok and the bam right back it was so depressing :(

I know what you mean it keeps waving his fins really fast for about a second then its like it has to rest and then build up energy again.

This is terrible I don't even want to go in there anymore... maybe I'll just leave it until tomorrow, there are no other fish in there.. I just hate that it is suffering like this.

I'd take him out I know it sounds bad but you can save him hours of suffering he is to far gone :( sorry about your fish

I think you should increase the salinity slowly. Atleast give your best effort to save him. How quickly did you lower the salinity that he was in? Did you do it over a matter of a few days or all in one day?

Well I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. If you can give me one reliable source that says hyposalinity itself will kill a fish let me know.

I couldn't bring myself to kill the fish last night but I woke up this morning and he didn't make it :(

Aquarium Fish: Applications for Hyposalinity Therapy: The Benefits of Salinity Manipulation for Marine Fish
By Terry D. Bartelme

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/6/fish

An informative article regarding hyposalinity treatment and it's benefits and dangers to marine fish.

Also, very sorry to hear about your tang

There won't be another fish :(

My main tank cracked and spilled 70-80 gallons of water in my dining room and also down into my downstairs neighbors condo.

I think its a sign to take up a new hobby.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG-20110425-00024.jpg
    IMG-20110425-00024.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG-20110425-00025.jpg
    IMG-20110425-00025.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG-20110425-00026.jpg
    IMG-20110425-00026.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 65
Just to clear up some of the misinformation in this thread. Hyposalinity (sg of 1.008-1.009) is a very solid, common practice for treating ich. It is not dangerous to most marine fish and is often the only alternative for treatment in other types that are sensitive to copper.

In this case, the tang may have succumbed to internal parasites or a number of other infections. What happens is, after the initial infection of ich is cured, a secondary infection by another bacteria is always a dangerous possibility. That is why the water in QT has to be pristine. I'm talking 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, etc. If any of those levels are not 0, water change.

Sorry to hear of your loss Bix, especially the tank. That story is the stuff of many nightmares.

Back
Top Bottom