Purple tang fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aidanflower

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today i noticed that my purple tangs fin looks to be rotting or it may have been nipped at. It definitely happened within the last few hours because I was
watching my tank earlier and I always study the fish to make sure nothing un usual. It doesn't look too bad. She ate perfectly fine today and isnt acting weird. She dosent avoid any fish. But i did put seaweed on a veggie clip and i did see my sailfin tang chase her off but as soon as she started to eat the seaweed she didnt mind the purple tang. I also don't have any very aggressive fish. Any info or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• image-1792142770.jpg
    image-1792142770.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited by a moderator:
What size tank? What are the other fish? Fish can be labeled as "non-aggressive", but can become territorial or have issues with other fish of the same species.

I have a 90 gallon tank with
Hippo tang
Pink tailed trigger
Sailfin tang
3 bangi cardinals
2 clowns

The purple tang is fairly new i got her 2 weeks ago and when i out her in there was no aggression. She is very social with everyone and all of the tangs eat off of my live rock packed together. The first sign of aggression was with the seaweed, after i noticed her fin

I'm guessing someone is picking on it. That is a lot of fish that really should be in much larger tanks. Fin rot does not just happen in hours (at least none I've ever seen).

I agree with Todd, that is alot of fish for that tank. My guess as to the culprit would be the trigger. They are known to be nippers, friend of mine had one and all her fish had their tails and fins nipped at constantly.

I also have a 90g but only have a single tang, a small one too, a bristletooth which is really the only tang suitable for a 4 foot tank. You may have more issues in the future, just as an fyi.

Okay i will keep an eye on the trigger. If i do see him being aggressive what can i do?

I just got home and her fin looks much better

I agree that the trigger is a likely culprit, but Tangs can pick on one another and Clowns are territorial too. IMO, that mix of fish in that sized tank is not going to play out well over time. It's just too small for any of the Tangs and / or the Trigger. Sorry, people can start with the Tang Police stuff, but I see trouble brewing with this mix.

I agree that the trigger is a likely culprit, but Tangs can pick on one another and Clowns are territorial too. IMO, that mix of fish in that sized tank is not going to play out well over time. It's just too small for any of the Tangs and / or the Trigger. Sorry, people can start with the Tang Police stuff, but I see trouble brewing with this mix.

It may sort itself out, but add some caves and escape routes. That stocking list in that size tank will be a challenge, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom