QT cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a another 30 gal tank 2 weeks ago. I threw some dead snails in it to start the cycle last week. I also seeded it 2 days ago with a filter pad from another tank. As of today the ammonia has dropped and nitrites are undetectable and nitrates are low. I have never seeded a tank before so would this tank cycle this fast? I threw some flakes in it today to feed it. If I do a 50% water change would I be safe adding some fish for QT as long as I monitor the ammonia? I think I will I just wanted to be reassured before I spend $300 on some more fish.

2 weeks seems like an awfully fast cycle to me.....I'd monitor it (while feeding, perhaps) for another couple days at least to be safe....

You can fit 300$ worth of fish into a 30g tank?! What kind of fishies are you getting, kind sir?! It sounds like it has cycled but I'd be prepared for water changes once your fish are in and creating a new and improved bioload on the tank!

my main cycled in under 2 weeks...

of course that was with over 100lbs of LR.com rocks, and some seeded LS.

Phyl I have a 150gal and 2-30gal QT. Mostly tangs, a foxface, hawkfish, maybe a set of black true percs. Still looking.

I agree , you probably will be OK but remember the Boy Scout motto, BE PREPARED. Good Luck

Make sure that all flesh is gone from the snail carcasses, sometimes a change in temperature can kill bacteria off temporarily, if the flesh is gone then you are O.K.

The filter pad from the established tank is the big help here. When I set up my QT I also soak the filter pad in the main tank for a few days to get it set up. Then i use that pad and the biowheel on the 30 gal. QT tank I keep 2 five gallon buckets of s/w mixed up and ready for pwc every day or every other day. Just keep an eye on the parameters as they can change much faster in a 30 than a larger tank with a sump.

Still, how many fish are you adding at one time? General rule is one new fish every month. I waited about 3 weeks after my pair of true percs were in before adding my Coral Beauty angel.

IMO using water from the main tank will not help, Bacteria grows on surfaces. If you have high nitrates in your main tank all you will be doing is transfering dirty water.

Back
Top Bottom