QT cycling with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capncavey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Set up my QT with floss from DT but got NO2 and fish won't eat. I am doing 20% PWC 2x a day. I don't have space to do larger changes should I be doing that 3x a day? I really don't want to kill my last fish.
Btw brand new tank; ph 8.0, nh3nh4 0.5, NO2 0.5 temp 80 also sg 1.010 (hypo got ick)
Jawfish won't eat breathing heavy, swimming ok but not trying to escape so know he is not doing well.

Well nitrites down to .25 and nitrates at almost 10. Going to stay on top of 2 gallon pwc 2x till everything is 0 or 8 weeks are up.
Anyone know if I have bio rings in DT will all BB die if I put it in hypo tank?

Tank still cycling and jawfish is still breathing. Looking better but still don't see him eating. I thought once I had nitrates my nitrites would go away...no luck yet.

Different bacterias will progress at different times. Just because you have nitrites doesn't mean ammonia will automatically go to zero. Same goes for nitrite and nitrate. Your nitrate will probably get really high when all your nitrite is gone. Ammonia and nitrite are very toxic, and nitrate is toxic at high levels, plus combining with a low salinity is what is harming your fish. Hope your jawfish makes it!

All parameters are good but jawfish is not eating. She grabs food then spits it out. I had done brine to get her eating but can't get it locally and not driving an hour, no place to keep them. She use to eat pellets now doesn't. Not seeing her eat mysis either. He is so skinny and is stuck in QT for another 5 weeks. Garlic doesn't seem to matter to her.

image-538713876.jpg

Well she finally is eating. I had to use old substrate in jug to make her happy. Turned into "she isn't going to make it so have nothing to lose"

Well she is eating like a hog and swimming well. She survived the cycle and 1.009 salinity. 1 more week then time to start bringing salinity up. She still can't go home for 3 weeks so gonna bring salinity up real slow like.

Well I started increasing sg. Aiming for .002 increase every other day. Hate to lose the fish now

Back
Top Bottom