QT Inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Quick question -

Do I have to QT inverts (dwarf hermit crabs/shrimp)?

Good :)

I'm getting 5 dwarf hermits today and a fire shrimp - when I'm drip acclimating them, is it ok to put them all in the same bowl?

That's right Ich which is one of the deaseases that many fear will contaminate their tank once a new introduction happens is an invert, so it won't stick to inverts.

Can I transport my 5 hermits and 1 fire shrimp in the same bag, and them transfer them all to the same bowl for acclimating?

I always find this one kinda hard to be 100% as far as recommendations are concerned. The risk is very very low but still a possibility. Personally I don't QT any inverts but I am very cautious never to buy any inverts from tanks that contain fish or are connected to fish sytems. If you're not going to QT, that's the next best thing. Only problem is unless you are buying in person, there's no way to know. :?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve - at my LFS, there's a tank which just contains inverts (shrimp/snails/crabs) so I bought them all from that tank.

It's also worth noting the LFS may sometimes use the invert tanks to QT their fish :?

Some corals can survive fresh water dips quite well most won't though. Mobile inverts being osmoconformers will not for the most part. It wouldn't really do any good anyway. While the parasite is encysted, it is very well protected and pretty much untouchable.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom