QT out of Eclipse...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, Petco here is doing a sale on the Eclipse 6 system for $55. Would this make a good QT tank? It's either that, or I can pick up a 10 gal set for like $30... but I figure the extra price for a nicer looking unit would be worth it.

Anyone ever think of making an eclipse system into a QT, or has done it before that can post feedback? Thanks!

:D

Hmmm... I'm assuming no more than 2. I only really want 4-5 fish MAX for my 60 gal. with 20 sump. 2 clowns, goby, blenny, and maybe some kind of butterfly or small angel... depending on which goes with reef/peaceful fish. And all those are going to be added slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly. So no huge usage out of a QT. Just figured it would still look pretty running on a desktop or something :D

You do know that if your tank were to get ich you would have to qt all of them at the same time for several weeks.

If you can get a 30g or better that would be great. I started with a 20 which worked fine as well. Just the more the better. Glad to hear you are qt'ing. :wink:

Are you crazy? :mrgreen:

Why would anyone NOT qt??? I think they have a 29 gal for $45 or something like that. I could always find one at a yard sale and set it up as needed. Too many choices... yeesh. But yes... for all of you... QT! :D

Beware of yard sale tanks... ten bucks on a tank that might pop a seam and kill your fish, drain on your floor, etc, vs. forty bucks for a new tank... or if you want to be really cheap, a big Rubbermaid tub from Wal-Mart always works although it's not pretty. I buy used tanks when I can but I always fill them with tap water and let them sit for a few days in the garage before entrusting fish to them, and I have a use for them even if they do leak, because I keep and breed snakes. If you don't have anything to put in a leaky tank, it might be best to make the people fill it with water and prove it's not gonna leak before you shell out the bucks.
I have found several aquariums at The ARC. Some of them were even water-worthy! :twisted:

Yes but with used tanks you will never know if they used copper in it. That would suck to have copper leach out of the sealant.

Where in the wide wide world of fish can you get a 29 gallon tank for under $80? My butt is getting sore just thinking about the prices where I live! :onfire:

I used an Eclipse 12 for QT of new fish. Now my cbs and hermits occupy it. I decided to rid the main of Ich by doing a QT hypo of the fish for 6 weeks. Went out and bought a new 30 for $50 and a filter for $20, etc.

They have 10 gallon tanks at petco for $9.99!

I Have a 40 gallon eclipse tank, then i got a new 60g tank, and the 40 is now my QT! Works well

Yes but with used tanks you will never know if they used copper in it. That would suck to have copper leach out of the sealant.
Novaqua works great for removing copper, I had copper plumbing at the old house, used Novaqua on the tap water and never a problem with my tank. Even had a sebae anemone thriving.

Yeah... I think I decided to get a 20 gal High from the LFS... $30. I'm moving to a small apartment and can't afford the extra room. :D It's still open to decisions though.

Just wish there was a way to have it set up as a mini-show tank. but if I were to put anything in the QT as its permanent home, it would have to share the space with a potential new or sick fish. Wouldn't be good

Back
Top Bottom