QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcdebb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are there any special requirements for a SW quarantine tank? I think I need to separate my maroon clown as he seems to have a white spot on him that wasnt there before. Not to mention I should have a qt setup anyway

I have a spare 5 gallon I'm going to use for now

A 5 is kinda small especially when you consider salinity swing due to evaporation. Best tank imo for a QT is a 20 high (since its still a small footprint but decent amount of water) but all you need really is a HOB, heater, and some pvc to hide in.

yea i know it's a bit small, but that's all I have right now, and I truly need to find the space for something like a 20.

can i use substrate or no? I only ask because I have a little bit of crushed coral I want to use up. If not that's fine too.

Your better off not using it so you can clean up debris easier since this is a QT you want prestine water quality.

Also, if you add copper to,treat ich, it'll kill whatever bacteria is in the sand. Go bare bottom, easier in the long run...good luck

yea I got to thinking about it and decided bare bottom is best.

I'm not sure what's on the clown, could be ich but not sure, its not multiple white spots I'm used to seeing on freshwater fish, it's one spot, just before his first stripe on the right side, pretty noticeable. he's been hiding sort of under one of the rocks, but he does come out when i put food on the top.

i have some pimafix (or melafix, cant remember which) that I once used in my freshwater a few months ago. can that be used? or do I just need to goto the store and get the right stuff?

The proper treatment for ich is cupramine or copper safe, or other copper based medication. You will also need a copper test kit to make sure your copper concentration is a therapeutic level. Should run you less than 15-20 for both depending on the store and kits used.

Can you post a pic? Also, if it looks like salt or sugar on the fish, it's ich...you'll be able to tell for,sure...it is always good to have on hand. The only things that happen quickly are bad things... Good luck!!

i can try. the funny thing is its on its right side, but he swims only showing his left side lol

it looks like a white patch, larger than the white "spots" i'm used to seeing with ich. the salinity is a little low in the qt, and i'm trying to get it up a little before I move him

Might be a fungus or bacterial something. We had something similar on the mimic tang. A few weeks of qt and melafix and good as new...either way qt is best. You don't want all that junk in your qt.

Well I'd love to get him well, but I just spent about an hour chasing him around the tank trying to catch him. I've knocked over rocks and my chromis came close to jumping out twice. I don't know what to do now. I have to get him before the whole tank gets sick

Take the rock out and try to corner him. Try with 2 nets. Give him no where to hide...the tank was a huge pain to get...just put the goby I. Qt for some distress and fin issues...he was weak, so he was easy...they are usually a real hassle

It's more than one rock to move, this is a 75gallon he's in. The base rocks are huge. I used two nets and a third to use as sort of a block. He does come out to eat so I will try to use that to my advantage later when I get home.

pcdebb said:
It's more than one rock to move, this is a 75gallon he's in. The base rocks are huge. I used two nets and a third to use as sort of a block. He does come out to eat so I will try to use that to my advantage later when I get home.

I literally fished one of mine out..... It's a major headache removing them and I had 5 that's why I'm not the proud owner of my 14" net which nobody escapes haha

MRC said it right. A 20 is a good size. I use a 29 in my basement, but most importantly put nothing in it but some pvc for the fish to hide in. A filter and heater and thats it. Keep it simple. Itll be easier on you that way also.

at this point I really dont know what to do. I tried for literally almost 2 hours tonite. I moved rocks, I tried to use them as blocks to keep him on one side of the tank, I splashed so much water on the floor that I didnt realize I lost a fish on the floor. I'm just going to leave him alone and watch him and hope I can just catch him on top of the tank one day or something. I've made such a mess in the tank I may just have to start the whole thing over, and that is really not a good thing!

Sorry for all the problems with trying to get the fish out. You could use something like Melanie in the display thank, it's safe.

Back
Top Bottom