QT tank HELP ME SICK Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brndfrb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am setting up a QT tank and i have a few questions. I have read the article on this already but here are what i need to ask. I have a ten gallonj with a heater and a hob filter. Now i am not going to set up and tear it down every time i use it. So do i need to cycle it. What do i need to put in it or do i leave it bare. Please let me know. Thanks guys

I took my filter for my 10 gallon QT and put in my display tank for 5 days, then put it in the QT tank. I had one of those penguin filters with the bio-wheel. After 4 days in the display tank, it was ready.

I have two clowns in the QT now being medicated for ich and they are showing improvment. I'm very pleased.

Folks say that when you QT is finished aclimating fish, you can put the filter back on the main tank untill you need the QT again. This is true, however . . . once you have medicated the QT tank, DO NOT place the filter back on the display tank. Especially if it was copper based medicine.

What I plan to do, is once my ich fish are fine, I will take the filter off the tank - close the tank down - clean the filter structure (the plastic and hoses and what not) and place a new filter pad and bio wheel on it (throwing the old ones away) and then put in on the main tank until I need the QT again.

I hope this helps . . . sich fish can be hard . . . I know . . .

Todd

Do i need to put any live rock or anything in there. How long do i have to wait to put my sick fish in there. I didn't use any of my show tank water. I used r/o water and added the salt. This may not have been the best thing in the world to do but i have to do something. They are sick. I don't want to loose them. I will be like loosing a friend. Please Help Me.
Should i put a piece of live rock in the QT tank or not. I just need to do something quick. Before they die. Thank you guys so much.
Brandon

You don't need to have any live rock in there, but some hiding places would be a good idea. I use plastic drinking cups upside-down with "V"s cut in the sides of them.

As far as putting the fish in now, I can't tell you what to do. You say that you used RO water and added the salt. Then the water in the tank you have created will not kill them as long as the pH and temp are in the proper ranges as well. So, technically, the water you have created will support the fish. However . . .what you need to remember is that no bacteria has been generated yet to deal with the amonia and nitrites that will be generated from the sick fish. You will have to watch your amonia very closely if you decide to add them now. What filter did you go with for the QT? Did it spend any time filtering the display tank water?

I know how you feel. I really do. I had to set up my QT and get fish in there immediately, too. I set up the tank on Friday, and had fish in there on Saturday being treated for ich.

Today is Tuesday, and the fish are okay and seem to be getting better.

hope this helps . . .

Todd

IMO you should try to put some of the show tank water in the QT. This will be best for the transfer. If you have a small piece of LR, put it also in the QT to start the cycling of the tank quickly. Definitely put some hidind places in there (some suggest pieces of 2" PVC pipe). Then stabilize the Ph, temp to the show tank settings and check your chemistry until the chemistry is good. Then add the sick fish. Depending on what you are treating for, you may want to remove any GAC from your filter pack to prevent removal of the medicine. Using the showtank water should allow for a quick cycle of the QT. HTH. 8)

how long should it spend in my show tank. I don't have alot of time to waste. It ihas been in ther for about 24 hours. Is that enough. Ok heres what i have done so far

10 gallon tanks
hob filter
heater
salinity 1.023
temp 80
hidding places
bare bottom
what else do i need to do??????????????????????? or is that it

brndfrb said:
what else do i need to do??????????????????????? or is that it
Decide on a treatment. What is the nature of the ailment?

Cheers
Steve

It is ICH! I know that. Also what is something good to treat ich with? Should i treat the show tank also.

You have to remove all fish from the main tank in order to treat ich by leaving it fallow (without fish), most notably if you have any inverts or plan to have any in the future. It is also good that you did not use liverock in the QT, it can and will remove some meds from the water column.

Exactly what and how many fish are you going to medicate? This is needed to implement a treatment as certain fish cannot tolerate certain meds. Also, if you add too many fish, the 10g QT can and will quicly build ammonia and nitrites, even if it is "cycled". Be prepared to monitor the water and do changes daily.

Does the PH, salinity, and temperature match your main tank water? If not, you need to acclimate the fish a bit as you would when you first purchased them.

I realize there are a bunch of questions and not answers, but the quicker you can answer them the quicker you can move to a safe treatment.

One additional note on leaving the show tank empty of livestock. From what I've read, if within 3 weeks the parasite cannot find a host, they just die. So this is how long you need to leave the tank empty. As HoopsGuru stated, you need to base the dosage on the recommended amount for the QT. You may want to consider a medicated dip first as an aid in helping to slough off the parasites. Do a search on this site for information and advice on this. Based on the fact that you have the parasite in the showtank, do not use that water in your QT as you will just be introducing more parasites in with the fish. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress. :(

The advantages of using the display tanks water far outweight any negative effects of bringing a few theronts with it. The less stressed the fish are by the transfer to the QT the better their chances of recovery. I would also not recommend the dips. They are even more stressful to the animal if not performed correctly.

As Hoops has stated above, more info is needed about the fish before a treatment can be suggested.

Cheers
Steve

I am a beginner who is in the process of battling ich as well. I decided to treat my case by using hyposalinity in a 10 gallone qt tank based on posts here. I also liked the idea since I felt I didn't have to monitor copper levels and I could use a standard carbon filter to remove ammonia (or at least I was hoping this would work). I placed a yellow tang covered with white spots into the tank about 30 days ago and he seems to be doing fine. Also, I have checked the ammonia levels several times and they haven't come into the measurable range. Is there a reason folks aren't recommending it on this thread?

awillemd1 said:
Is there a reason folks aren't recommending it on this thread?
We do not yet know the types of fish to be treated as yet. Boneless fish cannot be treated with hyposalinity.

Cheers
Steve

If I was to set up a show tank, should I also be setting up a QT tank as well? Could I then set up the QT tank with LR to help stabalize the water conditions when fish are added? If so, how would I continue to feed the organisms in the LR?

pm64971 said:
If I was to set up a show tank, should I also be setting up a QT tank as well?
Having a permanant QT is not necessary but can save you alot of hassles and concerns when/if one is needed. >>Here<< is a quick reference on an easy set up.

Could I then set up the QT tank with LR to help stabalize the water conditions when fish are added? If so, how would I continue to feed the organisms in the LR?
No LR, substrate or other absorbant sources should be used. Simple short PVC pieces or other easy to clean items for hiding places should be used. A basic sponge or HOB filter should take care of the biological process.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom