QT tank setup in a hurry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Like an idiot, I didn't quarantine the firefish and carpenter wrasse I got and guess what, I just spotted about 4 or five white spots on the wrasse. They are around and in his eyes and around the head of the fish. I'm going to get a 10 gallon kit tommorrow and was wondering if there was any way to speed up the cycling. I've heard you guys say bio-spira is about the only hurry up chem worth looking at, is this even worth fooling with? These are the only two fish in the tank, is it possible that the spell could ride itself out? I'm going to qt these two anyway and hope for the best, and take it as a lesson learned. Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate, 0 phosphate, 8.3 ph, 78deg temp, 450 calcium. Also would a freshwater dip be feasable. I have read mixed reviews on it and also the methods of performing it I have read seem over-complicated. If you guys recommend a dip how would I go about dipping then qt'ing the fish. BTW, the fish are both eating really well and swimming fine.

Read the thread. I'm going to try the hyposalinity method. Do I need to acclimate the fish to the lower salt content water or just mix some aquarium water with fresh and place them in. Have looked and found to acclimate them back to higher salt content but not to lower salt content. I am going to qt the firefish as well as the wrasse. I know this isn't ideal but I can't keep going back and forth between them. I am going to leave the fish in the qt for 2 months just to be on the safe side(god willing they both make it.)

If you really need a QT in a hurry. Syphon some water into a bucked or something out of ur DT and put a heater and what not in the bucket and run all your treatments in that.

I have an aquarium now to use for qt. I was asking is there a way besides chemical additives to make it more safe to hold fish. I will put a sponge out of my main tank in and slowly drop the salinity over a couple days.

Fill your second aquarium up with water from your main tank, and with the sponge also from the main tank...
And your good to go!

The spots disappeared today so I am under the assumption the spots are in the sand and rocks now. Both fish are going in the qt tank, I know this isn't ideal but I have no choice. Do you guys think two months is enough. Then another two months before I get any other fish. I consider myself lucky only seeing about 4or 5 spots on the wrasse and none on the goby, even the gills looked fine. No heavy breathing and both were eating(not crazy about the food but they ate it. What I'm hoping is that I caught it early enough not to have a fish with 50 million spots and putting them through more trauma than my dumb-butt has put them through already. I'm expecting it to get worse before it gets better, at least that's what I've read. But hopefully the little guys will make it and live a happy life, plus I will be highly irritated that I killed $40 worth of fish for not covering mine and thier's tracks.

Back
Top Bottom