Quarantine questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bodie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Unfortunately, my fish have come down with ich or maybe velvet. This is the first time I have ever had sick fish and I need to set up a quarantine tank to treat them, but I had a few questions.

1. What type of water should I use for the quarantine tank? I mean, does the water have to come from an established tank?
2. How do I establish bacteria in the biological filter very quickly? Will my fish survive in the quarantine tank if the tank was just set up?
3. How do I keep the bio filter going in the quarantine after I've finished treatment and return the fish to the display tank?
4. Will I lose my bacteria in my display tank if there are only crabs, snails, & live rock living there for 6 weeks?
5. I have 5 fish and I only have a spare 10 gallon to use as my quarantine tank. Will all of my fish, survive together in such a small tank for 6 weeks? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives that can be used as a quarantine? Will a rubbermaid bin work?

1. What type of water should I use for the quarantine tank? I mean, does the water have to come from an established tank
For a quick setup yes, you will be treating the qt tank for the parasite anyway. Also helps with the speed of the setup.
2. How do I establish bacteria in the biological filter very quickly? Will my fish survive in the quarantine tank if the tank was just set up?
You can place a small sponge in your main for a couple of weeks, or in this case as long as you can. This will accumulate nitrifying bacteria and you can place the sponge in the qt tank filter. If this is an emergency, just use tank water, move the fish and begin treatment. You will have to battle ammonia and nitrite with daily or even twice daily water changes until your biofilter catches up with your load. If using copper, it will kill you biofilter anyway. Keep lots of change water handy, water changes are your most important tool in a hospital setting.
4. Will I lose my bacteria in my display tank if there are only crabs, snails, & live rock living there for 6 weeks?
You will need to "feed the tank" and your inverts every few days. This will keep everything peachy until the fish return.
5. I have 5 fish and I only have a spare 10 gallon to use as my quarantine tank. Will all of my fish, survive together in such a small tank for 6 weeks? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives that can be used as a quarantine? Will a rubbermaid bin work?
What size and kind of fish? This will better determine what size tank(s) are needed. I doubt if a 10 gallon will do it, unless they are all neon gobies.
You can go the rubbermaid bin route. All that is need is a small HOB filter, a heater and some PVC elbows for the fish to hide in.

Thanks for the advice quarryshark. I have 2 percula clowns, 1 blue damsel, 1 yellow tang. If it wasn't for the tang, I suppose I could've gotten away with using the 10 gallon, but I guess I'll have to use the big rubbermaid bin instead. What do you suggest I "feed" the inverts that are left in the tank? I don't have any corals or anything like that. It's basically just a cleaner crew that consists of some nassarius snails, turbo snails, red leg hermit crabs, a cleaner shrimp, and live rock. Any advice is welcome!

On another note, I've read on other threads that some people have been unable to get rid of the parasites in 6 weeks and their fish get re-infected once they're returned to the display tank. Have you ever heard of this or experienced it? Do you think 6 weeks is sufficient or do I need to go longer?

What do you suggest I "feed" the inverts that are left in the tank? I don't have any corals or anything like that. It's basically just a cleaner crew that consists of some nassarius snails, turbo snails, red leg hermit crabs, a cleaner shrimp, and live rock. Any advice is welcome!
The snails will do fine if you have enough algea. For the shrimp and crabs the cheap route would be some small sinking shrimp pellets, your LFS should have them.
On another note, I've read on other threads that some people have been unable to get rid of the parasites in 6 weeks and their fish get re-infected once they're returned to the display tank. Have you ever heard of this or experienced it? Do you think 6 weeks is sufficient or do I need to go longer?
Good question. I have had a reinfection after 6 weeks, but have know many others that have been fine with 6 weeks. I think it kind of depends on the strain of ich encountered. IMO 4 weeks is obsolete, 6-8 weeks is needed. Kind of your call but if you want to be really sure, maybe lean towards the 8 week period.
Your mileage may vary. :wink:

The only thing I see, is that if you can afford a bigger glass tank then purchase one. The rubbermaid is a geat idea, and very cost effective. The only thing I would say about the downside is being able to view the fish.

Somtimes it's hard to tell when looking into your aquarium if a fish is coming down with something. I would think looking down from the top is going to make it much harder, when deciding if the treatment has done it's job.

On the other hand, if money is an issue, then by all means put them in the Rubbermaid. In type of qt is better thatn nothing. :wink:

You can place a small sponge in your main for a couple of weeks, or in this case as long as you can.

I would just caution you to make sure that the sponge is not treated with bacteriostatic chemicals as some are.

Good question. I have had a reinfection after 6 weeks, but have know many others that have been fine with 6 weeks. I think it kind of depends on the strain of ich encountered.

Maybe you want to also lower your main's temperature and sg?

Pete R.

Quote:

You can place a small sponge in your main for a couple of weeks, or in this case as long as you can.

I would just caution you to make sure that the sponge is not treated with bacteriostatic chemicals as some are.
As long as you get it from your LFS, no worries.
Quote:

Good question. I have had a reinfection after 6 weeks, but have know many others that have been fine with 6 weeks. I think it kind of depends on the strain of ich encountered.

Maybe you want to also lower your main's temperature and sg?
Leave the main be. If anything, you may want to raise the temp a bit (to like 82), this tends to speed up the life cycle of the parasite. All lowering the SPG and temp will do is hurt your systems inverts and biological filters.

Back
Top Bottom