Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ximat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Being new to this im full of all these questions :) I've searched throughout the forums and haven't found an answer to this quesiton.

I am going to invest in a QT. I've been told several different ways to maintain the tank, some say store dry when not in use, some say keep a couple damsels let it run.

My questions:

If you store dry what do you do with the filter?
I figured people put the filter in their display tank to keep bacteria grown up in it, but as someone else pointed out the medication get cought up in it and can kill stuff in your display tank.

If you store it dry what do you do for water?
I understand that if you plan on purchasing a fish you should set it up 24-48hrs in advance to get it flowing, but if you have an emergency in the display tank and need to move a fish or two over right away what do you do?

Great questions. I'll tag along here for the answers, too. Right now I have no fish whatsoever, but I have a QT tank running anyway.

If I were to store it dry, I think I would use my main tank water to fill it so that I could move fish there quickly in an emergency, and then use the opportunity to do a water change in the main tank.

I'd be afraid to keep damsels in there. Wouldn't they harass any newly arrived QT fish?

Wouldn't they harass any newly arrived QT fish?

That's what I thought too. And what happens when you have a couple fish to QT or a larger fish to QT, then you create stress having the damsels in there.

Im leaning towards the storing dry since my wife would SHOOT me if I put another tank out.

One thing i did read on here a while ago was someone had taken some sand out of their display tank and put it into a nylon stocking and put the stocking in their QT.

Any input on that?

Right now my main tank is completing the cycle, and I have a bag of ceramic bio disks in the sump. I'll move these disks to the QT to act as the biological filter after my live rock sets up in the main tank. Since the cycle needs to be maintained using an ammonia source, I'll put my first fish in the QT while my main tank with live rock and cleanup critters goes through its inevitable growing pains (diatoms, whatever!!). Then - I guess a month later, I'll add the fish, get a new fish for QT, etc., for the next few months.

At least, that's my plan. In my sump will be chaetomorpha and pods and a small DSB.

IMO I'd approach this according to the level you're currently stocked in your main tank. Over the 11 months I was adding fish to the main, my QT stayed up and running. At no time did I not have a fish in there for more than a week and half. As QTd fish transferred to the main - after 3 or 4 weeks, I added the next fish to the QT. As I'm fully stocked now, I tore down the QT. Of course if I get sick fish in the main, I'll be asking for help on how to set it up real qwik.

Not sure if that approach helps for your situation, but it you wann keep fish in there, I'd opt for blue/green chromis. Aggression for new QT inhabitants won't be an issue then. Might leave room in the main for them last when finished stocking.

And then, we'll both be looking for answers on setting up a QT real fast if fish get sick. :wink:

Austinsdad brings up a good point. Leaving it up and running while im stocking the tank Since I only have two fish in my main i obviously have a ways to go to get it stocked up :)

So here's an idea. I have a 15g Eclipse (one with the filtration built into the hood) that currently houses fresh water. Im thinking of turning it into a small SW tank, i think the proper term is NANO? That could be my QT tank while I stock, then turn it into a nano when im done stocking and invest in another tank for a QT tank.

Austin's dad is totally correct, For the first 6-8 months, you will probably not drain your tank. After that tear it down. You could keep it going, but I found that it is to difficult to keep an empty tank running and devoting any time at all. (top-offs and water changes) If you are going to go a couple of weeks between fish keep it running and feed as though there are fish in the tank. THis gives the bacteria the ammonia they need to stay alive. I did have to break down the QT to kill a parasite that would not go away during that first 6 months!

I personally would not use any tank that you are planning on using later as a QT. You are going to be introducing meds to it and you do not want any residual in the tank if you are going to stock it as a nano. You can get a 10 gallon glass tank at petco for ten bucks. (even cheaper used) I use a Whisper E filter, small heater and an air pump and stone.

I keep the filter floss in my sump (and originally in the media bins when I only had a HOB) so if you need it quick your filter media already has the bacteria you desire. After I use the floss, I throw it out and always keep a new spare in the sump. If you use an HOB now, sometimes, the same filter cartridge will fit in smaller filter for your QT. Beware of BIo-wheels however as the bateria will die when dried up and cause a MAJOR ammonia spike. If you have a penguin HOB just remove the biowheels.

hope this helps. :mrgreen:

Emergency setup should be easy, though, right? Just use water from your main tank. Any fish you need to put into the QT can go immediately without the need for acclimation it's the same water it was in already. Just need to watch the heater temp at first in the QT, I guess.

You can keep it up and running without fish. All you need to do is "feed" the tank a couple times a week. Just put a little food in to feed the biological filter.
There really isn't a need to keep one up and running unless you are going to be placing a number of fish in the tank. You can put it away until needed.
Just keep a small sponge in the sump or filter canister of your main , it will seed with bacteria be ready when needed.
Then it is just a fast setup..use water from your main along with this seeded sponge and you have a ready made qt.
IMO don't stress too much over having a cycled qt tank. Water quality can be maintained through aggressive water changes until the biofilter adjusts.

NANO? That could be my QT tank while I stock, then turn it into a nano when im done stocking and invest in another tank for a QT tank.
That would be fine unless you used copper in it.

Just keep a small sponge in the sump or filter canister of your main , it will seed with bacteria be ready when needed.
Then it is just a fast setup..use water from your main along with this seeded sponge and you have a ready made qt.

You lost me here. I don't have a sump or canister filter. Just an Emperor 400. What type of sponge? And is it disposed of when the QT is broken down and a new sponge placed in the display tank filter?

You should be able to get a small aquarium safe sponge at your LFS, I wouldn't use a kitchen sponge just in case it is chemically treated in some way. Hopefully you could stuff it in the Emperor somewhere. Don't need to leave it all the time (is nice if you can), just for a week or 2 before setting up a qt.
I keep one in my sump, pull it for the qt and replace it with another. So yes I do pitch mine when done.

Sorry to bump this one back up, but I had another question. I got my QT tank today, it comes with a Penguin filter (not sure the model yet). I just need someone to tell me where I can find an aquarium safe sponge? My LFS doesn't carry any.

Thanks

Im not sure why i'm making this soo difficult, but here's another question.

When you have the QT tank stored and get an outbrake of somehting and need to QT a fish or two you take the water out of your display tank... So that would be 10 gallons for me. Do you keep 10 gallons of saltwater always mixing to replace what you removed out of your display tank?

I just want to make sure I have everything covered before I cause any damage.

For me, it would be yest to both. Moving a fish from the main tank to QT is stressful enough without the added burden of acclimation to new water. Plus, it's FAST.

I always have 15-20 gallons ready to go for changes. I have small rubbermaid garbage can in the corner of my "fish room" with a heater and flowhead w/air bubbles.

It's working so far!!!!

Back
Top Bottom