Quarantine tank for ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Best way to kill Ick

• Copper power

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Cupramine

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Hyposalinity

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is good information. I've seen other sites that talk about all the myths and misunderstandings. They talk about how Some people think that freshwater dips are a cure or cleaner wrasses or cleaner shrimp work and explain why those things really don't work.

Copper or Hyposalinity work to cure the fish. A fallow DT takes care of cleaning up the environment that they are going back into.

You realy have to many fish in the 20 gallon you will be going through alot of water changes to keep the ammonia down to 0 or it will burn the fishes gills and not to mention the stress of a way to small environment and having ick all combined are a recipe for failure imo ...Maybe get another tank and split them up half and half ...

Once again i can not keep the ammonia down in the tank!! I am having to do water changes everyday and i am using alot of salt!! i am planning to start carbon back into the qt on the 8th or 9th will this help out with the ammonia at all?:banghead:

also I get it its alot of fish i get it!! stop writing that there is two many fish unless your gonna send me your tank for a qt!! i got it the first 3 times!!

No the carbon won't help ...I understand you can't get a bigger tank which sometimes you just got to make due .. only thing I know to do in your situation is to keep up on the water changes I understand you are going through a lot of salt but you are in a situation were your qt tank just can't support the bioload...

update

Day 18 all fish are doing good swimming around, The temperature does work for marine aquarium also so i have the empty dt at around 85-86 degrees. I tried to move the 3 tangs into a new tank but they started to get really stressed out and losing color so they went back into the original tank. I have dropped off the copper and am now running carbon thru the filter, I have been doing water changes ever 2-3 days instead of everyday. The fish will be returning to the dt on April 25-April 29 depending on the stress of the fish. None of the fish currently have Ich also.:dance:

So the fish are going back into DT without leaving that fallow for a month and without observing them for a month after the last spot disappeared? If so, odds are good that there will still be Ich present.

If you read it right then it says they will return at the end of this month.they were put it QT last month by the end of this month the tank will be empty for a little over a month, i would leave it longer but the fish are stressing out in this tank probably

Day 18 all fish are doing good swimming around, The temperature does work for marine aquarium also so i have the empty dt at around 85-86 degrees. I tried to move the 3 tangs into a new tank but they started to get really stressed out and losing color so they went back into the original tank. I have dropped off the copper and am now running carbon thru the filter, I have been doing water changes ever 2-3 days instead of everyday. The fish will be returning to the dt on April 25-April 29 depending on the stress of the fish. None of the fish currently have Ich also.:dance:

Glad to hear they're doing better. I went through this last summer myself. I do heartily recommend that once your fish return to the DT, you keep the QT up and let it finish cycling. I use a 10 to isolate any new fish for at least 2 weeks now so I don't have a repeat. I just keep mine up and do a 100% water change at the end of the QT period, and then leave lights off to let any algae die back and it's ready for any new acquisitions. If the fish is coming from a source known to have ich in their tanks, I go ahead use copper prophalactically from the get go.

Sorry...saw original post on 4/3 saying fish went in to QT. Saw that they were going back in later this month...figured that was less than a month.

If you have left the DT fallow and treated the fish in QT, then hopefully that's the last of the Ich. Ideally you wait a month after the last spot disappears, because they can still have Ich and it could show up before you dump them back into the DT.

So the fish went back into the display today because the heniouscus died in the QT most likely from stress, unfortunately the fish could not stay in the qt. Everybody was showing major signs of stress!! before anybody jump my crap, the dt was empty for around 25 days. Hopefully the UV sterilizer did something worth its money and killed the free floating parasite!! So far 1 fish has died i will do another update later in the week.

You almost sound like people here are hoping your fish don't make it and/or that we want to see you fail. I will speak for myself, but bet that most here would agree...the reason I take so much time daily/weekly to respond to posts on this board is that I've been doing this for a while. I've learned a thing or two and if I can help out, I do my best to. I will not, however, keep quiet when people ask for advice and then don't listen. Ill try to point out why its a bad idea and if people continue to ignore solid advice, I stop and let them learn the hard way.

For QT, yes, your fish are going to be stressed. By definition, your are either using copper, which is basically a poison to them or you are putting them in less than ideal salinity. Both are effective though. Is putting your fish back in DT prior to a month ideal? No. Does it mean there is still Ich in there,? Odds are yes. Is that the end of the world? Probably not. Some people choose to not treat Ich in QT and hope that keeping pristine water conditions and fish well-fed will work. Sometimes it does., sometimes not.

Since the fish are back in, try to maintain pristine parameters. Keep an eye on them, as you are adding a bunch of fish to a system that probably lost some BB over the course of 25 days.

I'm rooting for you and all of your fish...keep us updated...

At day 5 with the fish back in the DT. Absolutely no signs of Ich on any fish!! The tangs are even ich free!! so far everything is good and everybody is happy!! Hopefully it will stay this way!! From now on every new fish will be put into the QT tank first!! seemed like i lost some snails when i cooked the DT tank though so i will have to get more members for the clean up crew

Back
Top Bottom