Quarantining a bottom sifter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I always practice QT before introducing new arrivals into my main. My question is: Are there any considerations when QTing a bottom sifter like a Sleeper Goby in a QT that has no substrate. When I feed the other tankmates in QT they eat "normally" but the goby does not seem to be interested.

Thanks,
Pete R.

when i got a goby i just put him in the tank and he started sifting right away. Unfortunately, he passed away because there was nothing left in the sand for him to clean. Beware, when sand sifters clean the sand of everything, they usually starve.

Mine are not starving as they eat brine and flake as well as sift. does your sand ever run out of stuff for them to sift. I dont think so. But that is IMO

i dun know. My goby was pretty healthy sifting the sand, then i started watching him come up in the water column for food, and then one day i lost him in the rock. :( I think the crabs ate him because i never hit an ammonia spike.

for whats its worth my goldhead ss goby chows on brine and flake.

Sometimes I think he does it just to drop sand on my corals.

IMO depending on tank size, fish, age your tank can run out of food for sand sifters. So if they only sift for food they will probably starve over time.

Back
Top Bottom