quarentine question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwint

Aquarium Advice Freak
had my 75 gal set up and thought i saw a few white dots on my dottyback so i put him in a 10gal with cupramine.i moved so i set up a 30 gallon and put a heater,bubbler and filter (no carbon)i have a hawkfish,two clowns and a lawnmower blenny.last night i saw the blenny swimming around rubbing himself on the few decorations i put in there.i put him in with the dottyback just in case of ich.now my question is should i quartine the 30 gallon ith the three fish in it for a precation?i would hate to infect my 75 gallon after i just set it up.

I would qt them all for 8 weeks otherwise your not going to get rid of the ich and possibly lose some fish. Jmo, but I would... Good luck

it says two weeks on the bottle of cupramine
just called seachem and they said when you buy new fish 4 to 6 days as a perventative and two weeks if they are sick

If you dont have inverts, corals, anemones, crabs and only fish id just treat them in the main tank as its probably infected as well.

just called seachem and they said when you buy new fish 4 to 6 days as a perventative and two weeks if they are sick

That might kill the ich on the fish, but they will still be in the DT. DT needs to stay empty for 6-8 weeks to kill off the ich that is in the DT.

after doing alot of reading on ich im wondering if this fish is even sick.it eats and behaves normal im wondering if it had these two spots when i bought it.from what im reading they will scratch and breath heavy and lose there appetite before they get spots.the spots are the advanced stage if im understanding this right

If their are white spots on the fish its most likely ick. You said the one was rubbing on things which is a sign of ick. Ick will fall off in one of the stages and it will look like its gone but its just reproducing.

my blenny was rubbing on decos but im wondering if its because he went from a 75 gal to a 30 till the 75 was running and tested.he hasnt rubbed at all today.do they act different and lose they're appetite before they get spots

Most fish will continue to consume food until systemic infection, of which the infestation is overwhelming to recover. So yes, they can still act quite normally for a while. Keep a close eye on it, but ich can visibly be seen as raised "bumps" or appearance of salt raised upon the outer skin layer that won't dislodge compared to silt, microbubbles, fish bites, or stings from coral. Some fish do flash rockwork and considered "clean". Ich is usually the easiest parasite to deal with regardless :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom