Question ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Roka this one is kinda aimed at you.... I see you post this (or something similar) quite frequently:

roka64 said:
soaked in selcon/zoe/garlic.

Can you explain the reasoning behind using that combination?

Actually, I started with just garlic, to boost the immune system. I saw others recommend those specific products and just bought them. I think there might have been another product, but the place I ordered from didn't have it, sorry but I can't remember what it was....The zoe/selcon are just suppliments, probably, at the time, I was feeding brine shrimp and it was brought up how it doesn't have much nutrional value and should be supplemented with other vitamins and such....So, now I sometimes mix brine/mysis with those and have had healthy fish, so far...

I feed a combination of the following:

Mysis
Brine / Baby Brine
Squid
Marine Cuisine
Emerald Entree
Krill

I feed 2 cubes (I cut the big ones in half) of the above every other day. I alternate which ones they get, so it is not the same every day. I notice that the fish dont eat the krill and squid, but the shrimp and hermits love them (the only reason I continue to feed them).

1) Do you think I should add any thing to my food list?
2) Do you think it would be benificial to add the selcon/zoe/garlic combo?
If so, do you use it to defrost the cubes then dump the whole thing in the tank or do you scoop out the food and throw away the liquid?

1. That looks like a very balanced diet.
2. I would suggest the garlic at a minimum.
I actually don't rinse, but that is recommended, or at least thaw and rinse and then soak the suppliments, zoe and selcon state they are for inverts as well, I am considering anything in my tank that is not a fish and invert, such as urchins, feathers and such, that is the reason I don't rinse. But now that I think of it, I will take the advice of others and start rinsing...

I got mine from drsfosterandsmith.com
They are three different products. When I order from them, I get the bigger bottles, if they have them. They last a while and you will end up saving on shipping. Might wanna think about ordering some salt, since I don't think they take weight into account.
Anyone else is free to add their preferences.....Remember, I learned from you folks as well.....

When I looked on Drs Foster and Smith, the bottles said use such and such amount per gallon of water. If I have filter feeders (Feather Duster), how would I get it to them?

Filter feeders will get them through the water column, that's why I pour mine in with the food (now this step will take place after I have thawed and rinsed my frozen food). Or if you have the store bought larger dusters, you could spot feed (you may want to get advice from the folks that own them, as I was talking about the little tiny white ones that came in on my LR). I have seen folke use turkey basters and a few other things....

So are you thawing out your frozen food THEN soaking it? What I have always done is thaw it in some tank water then pour it in the tank, I have never rinsed anything, is that bad?

Back
Top Bottom