Question about formalin dip for clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick Bateman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm treating my clowns with a formalin (possibly in combination with malechite green--good idea?) bath to prevent Brookenella and any other nasties that might be a problem later on.

My main question is that I know formalin decreases the amount of available oxygen in the water, and that methylene blue increases the amount of available oxygen. Is it okay to combine these two medications in order to save my fish a little bit of the stress from having less oxygen?

If so, what concentration of methylene blue should I use in a typical concentration formalin bath (1 ml. formalin per gallon of water)?

I'm not sure if you should mix meds.
You can lower the salinity and add more surface ripple.

Not showing signs of illness, but Brookynella (I misspelled it before) is so common in Clownfish that's it's called Clownfish Disease. Experts recommend treating with a 45-60 minute formalin bath every other day for no fewer than three treatments total but five being even better. This treatments isn't necessary for other types of fish, as they rarely carry the disease. Formalin is the only known treatment for this disease that affects nearly all Clowns.

Still wondering if anyone knows whether or not it is safe to mix Methylene blue with the formalin, though. Any experts out there with experience doing this?

IMO you dont treat fish before you know they have a disease or parasite. Just QT them and observe. There are so many diagnosis out there and so many treatments that your fish will already be stressed out from the preventive treatment that he will not survive the real treatment he needs. Make sure he has something and then treat properly.

I would much rather treat prophylactically for marine ich and velvet since with the right kind of copper medication, you are causing a very minimal (if any) amount of stress on the fish. It's definitely worth pre-treating than having an infestation kill off thousands of dollars of fish (which has happened to me). As far as the clowns go, every source I've ever read practically demands that you treat for Brookynella during the quarantine period.

I dont agree. The purpose of QT your fish before adding is to observe . I`ve never lost a fish by QT and just observing. But to each their own. You have your opinion and experience and I have mine.

BrooklynellosisArt

If you read this you`ll see that Mr Fenner says "All new fishes should be quarantined, isolated in a separate system for a good two weeks before exposing them to established systems".

He also says "If Brooklynella expresses itself on your fishes in quarantine or a main-display setting it is necessary to act quickly to effect a cure by chemical treatment. As mentioned earlier, copper is largely ineffective in treating for this protozoan. The most efficacious cure is made by using formalin solution in either dips/baths (in freshwater or marine) or more dangerously, in administering the formalin to a system (with no invertebrates, algae, live rock present).

No where does Mr Fenner suggest treating a fish for something he may not have.

I'll have to go with Melosu on this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! IMO
It's your fish so let us know the results so that we can all gain from this experiance.

I really need to write up a quarantine protocol for hobbyists, something along the lines that public aquaria already follow. Normally I agree with not treating animals except for hyposalinity and chloroquine right off the bat; however, being that clownfish are very succeptible to such diseases as brook, amly, and crypt I see nothing wrong with preventative measures. A recent case experienced were lionfish and spadefish testing positive (necropsy) for amly and dieing within 24hrs. with absolutely no tell-tale signs of disease or other malady and previously treated with chloroquine. Go figure. I guess my point is, quarantine tanks are for treatments and those who wait to treat allow disease/infections to set-foot and often leaving the aquarist running to catch up before it's too late. There are exceptions to every rule, but sometimes animals come in with a higher % for specific problems and they must be acted upon.

As far as your clowns, I would only treat with Formalin minus the Malachite and do not mix Meth. Meth and most, if not all, medications will disrupt nitrifying bacteria and if not monitored could very well lead to NH3 issues and possibly a drop in oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom