Question about hyposalinity fot ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristy3693

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have started to notice ich on my flame angel. Can I move my corals, BTA, and urchin to a ten gal, and do hypo on the tank? How long would I have to keep my tank at the hypo level?

minimum 2-3 weeks after the last sign of any ich on the fish.

I'm assuming there are too many fish in addition to the angel to treat in the 10 gal hospital tank. The risk you are proposing is much of the DT BB may die off during the treatment, meaning it will take a long time to reestablish the BB colonies after salinity is back to normal. You could therefor be looking at significant daily WC in the DT for up to 10 weeks (4 weeks treatment total plus possibly 6 weeks to reanimate/reestablish BB). The investment in a new 30 gal hospital tank requiring less water and for a shorter period of time might be worth it.

I didn't know the BB was affected by the salinity level. Wouldn't the BB die off without the fish in there? Should I put a small piece of shrimp in there. I am not looking forward to catching my fish, corals are easier to catch. :)

How long should I take to bring the salinity down? I worry about them until it gets there. They will be stressed and more vulnerable. Should I do a quick FW dip before they go in there?

A FW dip is stressfull. A very sick fish may not survive, but the healthy fish should be OK. Lowering the salinity is recommended at 0.003ppm per day. So about 5 days to get to 1.009

As for feeding the BB, I would think putting about the same amout of food you normally put in should feed them just right. But changing it to a table shrimp instead of brine shrimp or whatever would be right. I would add it at the normal feeding schedule tho (i.e. 1 bit every 2-3 days).

Back
Top Bottom