Question on Sand polyps health.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I went out and got some more coral this weekend. I was looking for either a Zienia or star polyp. What I ended up with was a multicolored sand polyp.

Some appear to be green and others red in color. I have had it in my tank for a day now and I am a litle concearned.

In the store not all of the polyps were open but it is typical cause of environment and lighting. However I still have about 40% open and 60% that have not opened up.

Is there somethign wrong? Can I do anyhting to help? Shoudl I be concearned?

Image 1

2822107400061578502hqBByd_ph.jpg

Image 2

2326582950061578502xQPAyU_ph.jpg

Sometimes it takes a few days for them to open up. How did you acclimate them? I have a ton of zoanthids in my 120. I just got another small colony the other day. I have had no losses with the drip acclimation process. I float them in their bag for 20 minutes, then I put them in a bucket and use airline tubing to give them a steady drip for 2-3 hours. Once they go into the tank, the open right up.

I use the drop method.

What I did was remove abotu half the tanks water. I did abotu a 50% water change. After that I let the bag sit and temperature changes occur.

Then I opned the bag and let some tank water in. Then I removed the coral and placed it in the tank. I trust the water from the store I purchase the croal from. There water is probably better than mine.

Some more have opened but not all of them yet. I tried movign the polps but then moved them back to their original location in the tank. I was tryign to get them into a higher flow area. I think they are in a pretty high flow area as is right now and will keep them there to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom