Question re Ick Treatment for Live Rock in QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dacaptain78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
While inspecting my QT tank last night I noticed that My Purple Tang & Threadfin BF have ick. I plan on treating the problem with Cupramine. My question however falls upon the two pieces of live rock I have in my QT tank that I took out of the main display. I assume that they should now be considered "infected" and can not be put back into the main tank without some form of sterilization. I also have read that the copper treatment would be detrimental to the health of the live rock, so I can not keep it in the QT while treating the ich either. So what do I do? Can I give the live rock a freshwater or medicated dip and then put it back in my main tank? Or do I have to move the rock to a 5 gallon bucket for 6-8 weeks to ensure that if there is ick on the rocks it will starve off?

If a freshwater or medicated dip is sufficient, how many minutes can the live rock handle in the solution? Thanks in advance for your help.

Shaun

I'm not sure on the medication, but the only thing that should really be in a QT is some PVC for hiding.
Some one w/more experience can give you better advice on the "treatment" of your LR. It is a good assumption that your LR is now infected.

Props on the QT and placing you new fish there. You have saved yourself a huge amount of hassle!!

Yes, adding the live rock to the QT was a mistake. I just wanted to see the threadfin eat the aptasia's on the live rock, which it did. I guess now I will pay for my impatience. The positive thing is that both the BF and Purple Tang are eating and I have not seen any flashing or scratching (although I have been at work all day). I am just praying for my fish to make it through ok. I would feel horrible if they die, they are both so beautiful. Plus, this was the first Purple Tang I saw in my LFS in months. Thanks for the response.

I guess now I will pay for my impatience.

I did the same thing, when I started up my QT, so don't feel bad! LOL!!

If it was a lot of LR, you could, maybe, "recure" it (would say, this might take 8 weeks or so, for the ich (tomites?) to die off. But, I have never done this and you may want to see what others have to say....

I would put the rock in a bucket for 8 weeks. Do not treat your QT with the LR in it or you wont be able to use it in your main again.

your right for assuming the rock is infected. If your looking to get the rock back in the tank quick you could boil it to kill off anything on the lr. Or wait the 8 weeks in a bucket with a ph for circulation. Having not had to deal with ich I can only assue that boiling would kill it off.

Back
Top Bottom