quick double check...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcarola154

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, my royal gramma has ich... and I want to run him through hyposalinity

I just put him in the quarantine tank, at the normal salinity level, after giving him a short freshwater bath. I am running a small HOB filter with activated carbon, and a small heater on the tank. Now... from what I have gathered on the forum, I just slowly decrease the salinity of the water over the next 1-2 weeks correct? After that I leave it at hypo for 2 weeks and then increase it for another 2 weeks?

There's a really good write-up on it here: http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showpost.php?p=914798&postcount=4

Beth there recomends a faster decrease of salinity, over 48 hours. The timer treatment does not start when the sg 1.009, but rather when symptoms dissapear. Keep the salinity low for three weeks after all ick is gone, then raise the salinity again over a week.

It is also sometimes suggested to treat all the fish if they will fit comfortably in your QT. Ick may continue to breed in the display tank if you don't.

Back
Top Bottom