Quick QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noone

Aquarium Advice Regular
I posted awhile ago about having Ick. (Nobody replied.) I decided to try Ick Away (by wardley). Well it seemed to work. My fish were fine for about a week. Now they seem to have it 10 time worse. They are in a 10 gallon tank. I have a 7 gallon that I will use as a Hospital Tank. I need to know how to set it up. I have 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 Clown, 1 Royal Gramma, 3 little cleaner crabs (they look like itty bitty hermits), and 1 mexican turbo snail (i believe). The 7 gallon tank has the whole setup, Heater, filter (hob), light (not fluorescent). I know the main tank will need to be lifeless for awhile. How long? Do I need to remove my crabs and snail too?

Sorry for the poor post. I am worried about my fish!

TIA!

I forgot to mention that this blue stuff killed my peppermint shrimp. :( I am not having a good go at SW.

Ok, sorry for your trouble. Here we go. Here is a good article on the subject.
http://www.reef-aquarium.net/resources/disease/ich.html
You qt tank need to be bare bottom, no substrate. You can use water from your main to for starters, you will be treating in anyway.
No inverts in the qt tanks, they cannot take the treatment and are not hosts for the parasite, so leave them where they are.
You need to leave your main void of fish host for 6 week to allow the parasites to do through the life cycle and die off.
You can treat your fish in the qt tank with copper( as per the manufacturers instructions) or use hyposalinity. More is described in the article above.
Daily water changed will be used to control ammonia and nitrite in the qt tank. The will need to be monitored daily.
Decide on what treatment you will use and ask away with specific question. If you use copper a proper test kit will be needed to keep levels at treatment strength.
Keep us posted. :wink:

Also go through and read thread in this forum on the subject. Tons of useful info.

Bad Day.

Well, it turns out that it is not Ick. We thought it was a little weird that my damsel did not seem infected. We loaded the fish into a jar, and my damsel died instantly :cry:! We then head to the LFS to have them check to make sure it was ick. They said that it was a fungal disease, not ick. They suggested we use PimaFix. On the way there, we thought that we lost the Royal Gramma. (Turns out he was barely alive.) We went home and put a dose of the PimaFix. (Gramma still hanging on.) We had to got to the fair to meet my aunt. (And see a 2 hour long Beach Boys concert :( Just not my thing.) I came home to find my Gramma dead. My Clownfish is still kicking like nothing is wrong, despite the infection.
(I also lost my other Damsel this week.)

Sorry for your losses Sorry, I still don't think it is a fungel disease.
Keep a close eye on your Clown.

Well, the PimaFix seems to be doing the trick. We will see here on Friday. That will be the 7 day mark. That is when I am supposed to do a 25% water change.

Back
Top Bottom