R/O Water, good enough to drink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you drink from your R/O water?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fishboy-from-NY

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've heard that R/O water is not good for us to drink. I would like to see how many of you vote that it's OK and if any comments feel free to post them

My local Super Walmart has a R/O machine set up for filling 1 gallon and 5 gallon jugs with.
Its like 40 cents a gallon.
Its from the water company Culligan, and sold as drinking water.
This is R/O water I assume, because the machine says Reverse Osmosis water right on it.

I heard that the R/O filters made for fish tanks liek the one I have Kent Marine Maxima HI-S is not good to drink from it. I just want to make sure I don't start growning gils or fins since I am drinking and my wife from it.

I think as long as you tap it from before the DI it's fine to drink.

If it's a RO/DI unit.. I just heard deionized water wasn't good to drink.

I've been drinking my RO/DI water for months, tastes fine to me. Is there something I need to know about the DI portion of the filter?

yeah, possible side effects development of gills, fins and sudden urge to live in the ocean. lol. I don't know i am trying to figure it out myself.

i also have hard that the di is not the best thing for "us" to drink. i dont know why but that is all i know.

Drinking RO or RO/DI water is fine. It lacks any nutrients and vitamins that may be in the water before it was filtered but they are in such small amounts it makes no difference. Besides, we get all the nutrients and vitamins we need from food anyway. Fluoride (for teeth) is added to tap water which the filter will remove. But as long as you brush your teeth daily, this isn't a problem.

I would venture a guess and say that RO and RO/DI water is actually *better* for us than your average city tap water. There should be a minimum number of dissolved solids and chemicals in the filtered water that would make it healthier. Should also taste better as well.

I've been drinking my ro water since gettting my unit, why else would they put a "drinking water faucet" on the thing. I will tell you this, I have noticed 1 side effect, even regular bottled water taste like crap. If I can't drink my ro water I won't drink any water.

RO water is fine to drink...when i was in the navy a majority of the water we made out at sea was from a RO unit

Anyone manage to find out why DI water might be bad to drink?

I voted no, somewhat on accident. RO is ok, but DI is bad to drink because of osmosis. DI water has absolutly nothing it it, and your cells have a lot of something in them. Water always goes to the area of higher concentration, so your cells flood with water, and they can become damaged and explode.

I heard or read something a while back, dont remember if it was about this exact subject... All I remember was that some water that had absolutely nothing in it somehow actually pulled some of the vitamins and minerals out of your body... Fluoride is bad, very bad... Does absolutely nothing for your teeth and it may cause the barrier to your brain to weaken allowing harmful things such as aluminum to pass through more easily... Sure I sound crazy... but the FDA and other govt organizations have been wrong about so many things, would you really trust them... anyway... about the bottled water... some of it tastes gross because of things added but a lot of bottled water these days is basically municpal or tap water from some really large cities... major name brands too... can you imagine paying money for bottled tap water... sure it's filtered a bit more but just get a pur or britta filter in your house and you can produce some decent drinking water yourself... anyway, this speach is long enough... I wouldn't feel comfortable saying anything about the ro/di water unless there was some sort of study I read or something... It sure isn't going to kill you but it might be a good idea to try and find some more info on it... good question

It does apply to fish, but you mix salt into the water replacing the "stuff" in the water. Would you put a SW fish into FW? Of course not because the salinity content of the SW fish is much higher than that of the FW so that cells in his sensative tissues (gills, etc) will become damaged.

As far as not drinking DI, it would be the exact opoosite of drinking SW. Think about what happens when you drink too much SW, you become dehydrated and die. Why does this happen, because the SW in your stomache is at a much higher concentration than your body, so that you loose water as it leaves your system to dilute the SW. The same goes for FW cucumbers turning into SW pickles

Lastly, I bet your DI isn't as DI as it could be. I am willing ot bet your filter doesn't remove everything. Also, true DI is so pure that in most containers things will leech out into it raising the concentration of "stuff" making the water safer to drink.

Overal, drinking a glass of pure (abolutely nothing but H2O) DI water probably won't kill you, but it is not nearly as good for you as a glass of wather with some things dissoved in it.

Back
Top Bottom