RBTA can't tell if it is sick or normal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pjones0221

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I am new here, actually this is my first posting.

To fill you in I have a salt water tank (go figure), it's 180 gallon+sump. The tank has been running for about 3-3 1/2 months. So far I have 4 clowns, 1 flame angel, 2 fire fish, 1 banggai cardinal (the other didn't make it), 2 skunk shrimp, and a handful of snails and hermit crabs. I also had a sixline wrasse, but he died this morning (unknown why that is) after having him for a month+.

Okay now for my problem. I added a rose bubble tip anemone about 2 1/2- 3 weeks ago. It moved all over the tank, looked good. I had to physically move him a few times. He was getting very close to power heads.

A few days ago he looked terrible, went to my lfs my calcium had significantly dropped off and was at 300. I now am boosting calcium and things seems to be back to normal. The rose opened up again and looked great, he even found a new spot that seems to make him happy.

Well I came home from work tonight and my rbta didn't look good at all, I'm trying to figure out what's going on with this guy. One day he is fantastic and the next he looks awful. My stress levels can't take much more of this. Please if anyone can help Id greatly appreciate it. This is my fish reef tank and first anemone.

Will add pictures if I can figure it out.

Thanks

Pat

Tank seems pretty young to already have a nem in it, also not sure how quickly you added those fish as adding them to quickly will hurt your tank because you don't have enough bb yet

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tank was up and running end of July. I added the 4 clowns first. Then 3 weeks late the angel and sixline. Then 3 weeks the banggai and fire fish.

My lfs said since I am so OCD about my water that the anemone should be fine.

But I did leave enough time in between fish for everything to return to normal in the tank.

LFS will tell you anything to make a sale to be honest. If someone else would like to jump on and give an opinion that would be great

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414032305.903230.jpg

This is last week

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414032336.692638.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414032347.007714.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414032355.086488.jpg

This is tonight

I also don't know if I should be rushing to remove it from the tank. Don't know if it's too soon or if it'll be negative on the rbta

What kind of lighting are you using? I agree that the tank is too young for an anemone and it doesn't look good :( any swings in parameters and that's going to stress it out. What's your other water readings?

I have LEDs on the tank.
Calcium is raising up, it was at 300... But been on booster for almost a week now. Nitrates and nitrites at 0.
Ammonia 0
Phosphates .09
PH 8.1
Alk 8
Salinity 1.025
Temp 77

I have LEDs on the tank.
Calcium is raising up, it was at 300... But been on booster for almost a week now. Nitrates and nitrites at 0.
Ammonia 0
Phosphates .09
PH 8.1
Alk 8
Salinity 1.025
Temp 77

nitrates cant possibly be zero. what kind of LED. name and model please.

Been 0 the last three times I checked.

Marine land double bright led lights... I have 6 on the tank total.

6000K one watt white and 60mW blue LED lighting system
Per light.

Or so close to 0 it's not able to be read

Been 0 the last three times I checked.

Marine land double bright led lights... I have 6 on the tank total.

6000K one watt white and 60mW blue LED lighting system
Per light.

it is impossible to get a nitrate reading at 0, what are you using to test. you cant remove nitrates in total (all of them) with water changes and therefore there are some left always.

I also doubt these lights are bright enough to support a nem.

Water changes and protein skimmer, has kept them under control from day one. It really doesn't read, and it is tested at my lfs. Weekly.

Water changes and protein skimmer, has kept them under control from day one. It really doesn't read, and it is tested at my lfs. Weekly.

do they give you exact numbers, what is your water change schedule like, once again the lights arent bright enough for a nem, especially in this size of a tank.

Water change is every two weeks. 50 gallons.

I'm planning on upgrading the lights, just don't have the $1500 atm.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414047722.995053.jpg

And this is the nem right now.

That might be the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom