Really High Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majetta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Powder Blue Tang is on the verge of dying. The fish is on its side and breathing heavy. He has ich. I started the hypo treatment and it is down to 1.012. I noticed my tang had white spots again today, so I thought it was another Ich breakout. REALLY BAD. I did a 30% water change to reduce ammonia levels, but it is still bad. Do I have any hope to keep my fish alive?

I have my fish in a QT already, but I am having a hard time keeping the ammonia levels down. I did a 50% water change yesterday when I first noticed the spike. The ammonia is at 1.5-2.0. I did another 15% water change today, but it is not lowering the levels much. I have 5 small 2-4 inch fish in my 30 gal tank. I lost the powder blue last night. My main tank has the ich, so I don't want to return them. I have already had the fish out almost 3 weeks. My salinity is at 1.012 still. Does the salinity impact my ammonia levels? Any other suggestions?

What kind of filtration do you have on the 30? When I had to move our 55g tank I had a lot of big fish crammed into 2 10g tanks, and it turned into weeks... I had bought the huge HOB filters from walmart, I think they were whispers made for 30-60g tanks, 2 sides of carbon and alot of GPH for small tanks, although you can adjust the flow, I placed rocks in there to divert and disburse it. I had that running with both sides carbon doing water changes as needed... but I rinsed the pads every week in clean SW as well. Cut way back on your feeding ... that can reduce a lot too.

Sorry I have never had to do the Hypo so I'm not sure about that.

If your levels are that elevated, your going to need to do water changes daily or every other day til things get back to normal. Your going to need to do larger water changes as well to make a difference in the levels.

Back
Top Bottom