Red Hair Algae Problem,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigalwoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have had a bit of live rock in my tank for over 3 weeks and noticed that it has red hair algae growing on it, i haven't noticed if it has spread further around the rock or not as i only became accustomed to the problem yesterday.

Will other rocks that are touching/leaning on this rock become infected as well and spread across these. And how should i go about treating it? Or should i remove the piece of rock entirely? If it is that big of a problem.. THANKS!

What kind of set up do u have fish only? It may not be bad and at even be consumed by tangs

I have a 30 gallon, starting a reef tank. ive only got one coral in there at the moment (bubble) its on the sand so its fine. But the algae i think its red turf algae. It is on one of the large rocks in my tank, do you think it will spread if not removed? i cant get a tang in there, because my tank is way too small.

If you can get the rock out and clean it off, that would be good. If not, start doing water changes because there is some kind of issue. I've been fighting green hair algae for 2 months. It was starting to cover my corals. I've been doing lots of water changes and am just now seeing some improvement.

FlopNewsom said:
If you can get the rock out and clean it off, that would be good. If not, start doing water changes because there is some kind of issue. I've been fighting green hair algae for 2 months. It was starting to cover my corals. I've been doing lots of water changes and am just now seeing some improvement.

Yeh I've been doing water changes, but it didn't just appear I didn't realize it was there until I bought the rock. It came on it from the lfs.

Sniperhank said:
Are you using ro/di water? How much do you feed? What are phosphate/nitrate levels?

Yes, I feed the proper amount I am certain. But the algae was on the rock when I bought it, I just wanted to know if it would spread if I didn't do anything about it. Such as remove the rock?

Yes, it can spread.remove the rock and scrub it off. It might take self, I still have bubble algae pop up off of frag plugs that came in with the stuff on them.

Back
Top Bottom