Reef ich solutions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizArd418

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm pretty sure my royal gramma has ich.... Pulling him out would be next to impossible. Is there a solution that I can put in?

UV sterilizer. raising the water temp. hypo salinity.

these are all small solutions that might help but the best way is still to take the gramma out and dose a QT with copper medication

IME there is not much that can be done. In general fish get sick when two things happen, 1-the pathogen is present AND 2-they are stressed. You can treat for the pathogen, but if they are not stressed they will not get sick. On the other side, if they are stressed you may treat this pathogen, but they will get sick again unless you remove the stressor.

I have talked to a few people who have used New Life Spectrum's Thera+A to treat marine white spot. It has enough garlic to kill some parasites.

Just wanted to chime in here:

I had this problem once in a reef. Unfortunately, the only thing I could do was step up the water changes and hope that "the strong would survive".

I could be wrong, but once you see ich, it is assumed that the tomites are free swimming and looking for any host that is susceptible to them attaching.

Thanks for the tips. I have a reef tank...will that solution harm my corals or my cleaner shrimp? Thanks again, you have been so helpful!

@Mr Crabs...yeah, that's kinda what the guy at our fish store told us. :-( Just feel bad for the little guy.

We do too. But the cleaner is new to the tank and he just hangs out in the back of the tank. I'm assuming with time he'll do his job.

I have a small 1gal tank...should I put my gramma and cleaner in there...will that force the cleaner to eat them off the gramma? Right now the gramma hangs out where the cleaner can't get to him.

You can give it a go it can't do no harm if it don't work just put them back in your mane tank

could do harm to the shrimp. they are extremely sensitive to different waters, mainly the salinty of the water

One gallon would be a way to guarantee horrible water quality and further problems. If the fish isn't stressed it won't be sick. If it is cramming it in a corner with a cleaner may get the current parasites off, but won't fix your problem.

Thanks guys. I put the one gal inside my main tank. I was able to get the shrimp in there but I'm unable to get the gramma as he hides inside the LR. Im at the point of frustration and am probably creating more stress for the fish. From the sounds of your advice my best bet is to just try to keep the water clean, try to get him to eat, and hope for the best.

It's tough getting a little guy out of reef to medicate and QT. I could never rearrange all of my hard work for the sake of it. I know I am stating the obvious (And I think it was mentioned prior), but hyposalinity is not a good idea for obvious reasons. Inverts don't like the SG drop below 1.019. I have never put much faith in chemical cures advertised to get rid of ich in a reef tank simply because anything that is not strong enough to kill inverts, is probably not strong enough to erradicate the parasite.

If I were in the same predicament, I would do water changes every couple days for the next couple weeks--say 1/3 of the volume. I would also improve surface agitation with an extra power head. I used to get garlic extract at the lfs (A little pricey) and soak a frozen cube in it for a couple minutes prior to feeding--I believe that this keeps the desire to eat on point and I feel that it is important for the immunity and slime coat of the fish. Many people would disagree and state garlic as just a homeopathic mythical hobby remedy. Last but not least, I would say a prayer every night before bed. Hope it works out for your little guys there.

As a side note, the best I have ever done to stop an outbreak was to keep the other inhabitants that were healthy, in tact. I usually lost the fish that showed the signs initially, no matter how hard I tried with increased tank maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom