Regal Blue Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 42 gallon hex tank and currently there are four fish in it...

longhorn cowfish ( pride of the tank :D )
sebae clown ( the tank bully :roll: )
purple firefish goby
bi-color blenny

Anyway, I've had five fish in this tank successfully for a couple months, but I gave one to a friend. I'm really hoping that I can put a regal blue tang in here, but whatever I choose is going to have to be very tolerant of my clown trying to establish dominance. I'm just curious if the tang is hardy in that regard or if they're wimpy and easily scared.

Two responses to that...

1) There is an insanely small regal at the LFS currently that is like 1" long or so.
2) I and when they get too big, I'll take them back to the store.

So, beyond that, do you see any issues with aggressiveness? Or are they pretty good about dealing with it?

IMO I do not feel it is fair to the animal to just have it until it reaches a size too big for your system then send it back to the store. A lot of fish have a difficult time adapting to aquarium life and are extremely stressed out when moved from tank to tank. This fish is also very prone to such stress related diseases as ick that can result from moving from aquarium to aquarium.

That being said I don't think you'll have too many problem with aggression.

So, they're not hiders or real skittish in the presence of other fish, then?

And hopefully he won't have to go back to the store... when our lease is up in July we'll prolly be moving to a down-stairs apartment, and then I can get a bigger tank!! :D

Sorry to repeat the question, but I just want to make sure You didn't mean that the tang won't BE aggressive... I'm worried about him DEALING with other fish.

I agree jamal, get it to send it back in a few months is not fair. I do see a problem with this tang in your tank it grows fast, gets large, and there is not enough swimming room in a hex. It will hide most of the time it takes months for this tang to adjust to it's surroundings and by that time it will be time to take it back to the LFS.

Kaye

Well, it sounds like I'll have to wait 'til I get a bigger tank, then. :(

At least that's not far off, hopefully! :D

You think that a regal blue tang would be compatible with my current stock in a big enough tank (100+ gal), then?

I really don't wanna put a damper on your thoughts of regal tang Guage.. In fact I put mine in last Saturday and well lets just say you will be so much happier with a different fish.. They are super sick prone get stressed out at the drop of a hat hide all the time and the getting stressed out creates a miserable cycle with them getting sick... I would just say that you would be so much happier with something else.. I mean don't get me wrong I am doing all I can to make it work with him.. but this may be the fish that gave saltwater its "its too much work rep" He really is a ton of work..

Just my .02

Doan

Back
Top Bottom