Regal Tang with eye clout HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Regal Tang with what appears to be eye clout. The problem is I need to catch him and put him in my qt tank to treat it and I cannot catch it. After a couple unsuccessful tries at catching him now the minute the net hits the water he hits the rocks.

I need suggestions on what to do. I really can’t move the rocks because of the corals. I have Melafix that I have used in fw applications and it claims to be invertebrate safe but my lfs guy says it won’t be strong enough.

Also I read that the usual cause of this is poor water conditions. WHAT By no means do I have poor water. My nitrates are below 10 and the only thing different I did was:

I bought a Acro frag and a Fan Sponge and put them in
I ran out of salt and my lfs buddy gave me a bag of Crystal Sea Marine Mix to mix up and try a wc with. I did a small pwc of about 8gal and my tank is 75gal.

Salt would not carry a parasite right? Could it have been introduced by the sponge or frag? The tank they were in has a Sailfin Tang in it that is doing fine so I don’t think that is it.

Suggestions/advice?
TIA

I would try a few 15 gallon PWC`s and see if that helps. Alot of times the water looks clear but there`s a problem in there. Also as far as the net leave it in the tank upside the wall of it with the handle up so he`ll get used to see it in there. Then maybe you can try the sneak attack.

Regal tang help

When my regal tang had white spot and I wanted to catch her to give her a freshwater dip I used one of those clear plastic bags that aquatic retailers give you when you purchase fish or coral, soemtimes they let you buy a few there cheap and come in handy. All I did was put the clear bag in the water with a rock on it to hold it down and gently with my hand guided the fish into the bag ( she was proabbly a bit scared actually and just trying to swim away but I managed to catch her without causing her harm) obviously she didnt see the bag as well as she saw the bright green net so I got one over on her hehe! :lol: should work fine then you can easily transfere your tang into hospital aquarium.

When I tried the net though I found that it stressed my tang out and she got her teeth and scales caught on the net which stressed me out seeing her like that. even though they look velvety smoth their scales are actually roucher than they look.

Hope this helps you
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom