Rid ich plus and live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfscn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can't believe I made this mistake. It has been a few years since I had a running aquarium. Cycled my tank for 4 weeks and purchased a small clown. After a week I noticed it had a minor case of ich so I grab a bottle of Rid Ich Plus and started to treat my tank. After my third dosage it hit me it's probably not a good idea to mix with my live rock. Sure enough it is not. Did I just ruin my 15 pounds of live rock or hopefully I realized my mistake and stopped it early enough? Also in the near future I wanted to start adding soft corals. Did I ruin those plans as well? Need advice, can I try to cure my rock, is my biological filter shot? Thanks for any advice

Well I would say you have a great qt tank now. That rock is cooked for use with any corals or inverts but it would still work as a filter for fish in a qt tank. As for the tank some wouldn't use it now either bit with a few good rinses it should be safe enough IMO

I would say if you run carbon for say three or four weeks changing it every so often you'll be ok. I read so where that rid ich doesn't leech into the rock but I can't find it again but most meds are removed with carbon. Plus you didn't use very much of it correct.

I barely used any. I'm running carbon now and plus I think my protein skimmer picked up most of it because the waste was blue every time I emptied it. The rock is still blooming with algae (not sure if that makes any difference). I also forgot to mention I had three hermits in there which are still very active. Not seeing any staining or anything like that. I guess time will tell and worst comes to worst I can keep it as a expensive qt tank or start over. On a lighter note, clown has no more ich on it, guess the product works well on them

Back
Top Bottom