RIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saith

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I came home today and went to feed my sixline wrasse, usually he is there to greet me, but I didn't see him anywhere. As I began to get really worried I noticed it floating next to my skimmer return pipe. Now I'm completely bummed out. Upon closer examination I saw that he was missing a chunk out of his upper back.
I added a Banggai Cardinal on Saturday. The had been avoiding each other and I didn't see any signs of aggresion, assuming there would be some. I am wondering if the cardinal attacked him, or if maybe he tried to swim through too small of a hole in the rocks (which I doubt). Its a pretty deep chunk. I was under the impression that cardinal fish weren't aggressive. Man this really sucks, he was an awesome fish. If anyone has any thoughts, I would like to hear them. TIA :cry:

aww, my six line is one of my favorites also. I have two of those cardinals myself and they don't seem to bother eachother. In fact my six line attacks my chromis occasionally. Though I do notice that the sixline steers clear of the cardinals. what else do you have in your tank?

I have a crocea clam, 3 peppermint shrimp, sea hare, porcelain crab, a hitch-hicker crab or two, star polyps, and 2 pieces of sps. I can't imagine a crab getting ahold if it.
I had the sixline for about two months, and I could spend hours watching him. I'm not sure if I could bring myself to get another one.

cant see the cardinal doing it unless you just added it some adults are territorial when alone but i still doubt it if it was over night i would guess a rock crab grabed him while he was sleeping in the rocks but im shure he would have been eatin completly
mean powerhead mabey

Wow, if the corals are doing ok I can't imagine it being a water quality issue. And if something did take a bite out of him, I guess it's possible it could be the cardinal. It's odd though because when my cardinals get territorial they wip their tails around and the fish back off.

One of my friends pointed out that something may have taken a piece out after he died. I just put in a new powerhead, Seio m620, but I think that is safe. All his fins looked in good shape so I don't think it was the cardinal terrorizing him or a powerhead. Well I guess I'll have to go crab hunting again.
I just put the sps corals in last night, so they aren't a good measure of water quality. Here are my water test results:

ammonia ~ 0
nitrite ~ 0
Alkalinity - 3.2
Calcium - 360
Specific gravity - 1.022

Back
Top Bottom