Rip on a Mushroom Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sadial

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have slowly begun to stock my tank. Last week I picked up a really nice piece of rock with a mushroom coral on it and a few other things like feather dusters. The coral adjusted quickly and it looks nice and healthy but this morning I noticed a tear on the mushroom. Despite the tear, the coral doesn't appear unhappy.

I don't have much in my tank at the moment. I have an emerald crab, a tuxedo urchin and a peppermint shrimp. I also have some snails and a few blue legged hermit crabs. None of these animals seem interested in the mushroom and I don't know how it got injured. I did notice 2 clear/white tentacles coming out of a crevice in an adjacent rock. These tentacles could reach the area where the rip was - I think. I don't have a picture. I didn't see it today and lights are off now. If these tentacles sting, what would the injury look like? Or, does the damage depend on what it is? When I was looking at the tentacles, it seemed like they were trying to zap the mysis shrimp that swam by. There are only 2 tentacles and they are about an inch long. How do you extract something from a crevice, anyway? This particular rock is holding up other rocks and is a key piece in the stability of the aquascape. It might be simpler to move my new rock with the mushroom coral...

Or, could the hermits/emerald crab have injured the coral by walking on it? They seem to ignore it but I don't know what happens in the dark :)

leave the tentacle thing alone. it's either a tiny brittle starfish or a spionid worm, and neither of them hurt the mushroom.
i don't know what did it, but i wouldn't worry too much about it. it will heal up or split into 2 mushrooms. they are amazingly resilient.
i heard of a guy who put mushrooms in a blender then poured the slurry back in his tank. he had mushrooms all over the place a month later.

I know it's not a brittle starfish - I have a few hitchikers and know what they look like. I googled spionid worms and yep, that looks like it could be it! I was not looking forward to tearing apart my rockwork, btw. Thanks for saving me that pain.

I'm in a boggle over your story with the mushrooms. I'm fretting over a rip and people chuck them in blenders.

Back
Top Bottom