RTN or STN on Acro Frag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a blue tippeded acro frag about 2 weeks ago. It was doing very well perched at the top of my tank. A few days ago, it fell off the rock, no doubt from a clumsy snail (I just got these, haven't had time to epoxy them down yet) and onto the sandbed. I was busy that day, never even noticed that it was down there until the following day. I picked it up and put it back where it was. It was a little white but evetything still looked fine. Last night (being about 4 days since I picked it up from the sandbed) the tissue on the back of the acro is peeling off. :( I'm really sad cause I really like this piece...

I thought late last night when I noticed, about fragging today, but.. the flapping tissue basically goes right down to the base of the coral... so I'd have to cut off pretty much everything. The only thing I have right now is some Seachem Reef Dip... (I got it for free)

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/ReefDip.html

Would a dip be beneficial right now...or is the coral pretty much gone? I can try and get pictures when I get home tonight...

I'm leaving for the shore tommorow, for the weekend, so I'm hoping to try and keep it alive, but I won't have much to do for it after tommorow.

Any comments or help is much appreciated :(

AFAIK when the tissue starts necrosing fragging is the only option- unless it was physically damaged. Then, if good water quality is provided, it generally will come back.
Is it getting too much flow? How are your Ca/Alk levels and were there any swings lately? Is another coral close by or up stream possibly waring w/ it?

Acros can be touchy like this, especially when new and getting acclimated. Being down in the sand may have pushed it over the edge. Sorry, I hope it pulls through for you.

Mike, thanks for the reply. I got swamped before I left and never got a chance to check back on AA. When I got back this evening, about half the frag is white.... :(

The rest of the frag looks fine so I'm gonna keep an eye on it for now, if I notice it spreading though I'm gonna frag as much as possible.

I don't have the frag in direct flow, but it gets pretty strong flow. No flucuations in anything, and I've tried to keep it away from close corals. It's off by itself. I think the drop on the sand just stressed it I guess... :(

I'll keep updated, thanks for the well wishes. :)

Back
Top Bottom