SALTWATER ICH ON TANG.....PLEASE HELP (TREATMENT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SALTFISHDUDE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI, I got my Kobe Tang (Yellow-eyed) about 3 weeks ago and I have noticed it is scratchin against the Live Rock and has tiny white dots on his fins (about 10). I am 95% sure this is Saltwater Ich! I am considering adding "Greenex" to my main tank. (55 Gallon) Is this a good idea? I also have 1 Clownfish and 3 Green Chomis which show no sign of disease yet!!!

ANY HELP OR COMMENTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED :)

BY THE WAY....LUV THIS SITE!!!!!!!!! :D

O.....forgot to tell anyone who helps me....I have 1 Common Cleaner Shrimp and GREENEX does contain Malachite Green

THANKS FOR ANY HELP :!: :?: :!: :?: :p :p :p

Cleaner shrimp do not cure ich and neither will malachite green. That stuff is toxic to small fish and inverts and usually doesn't work for ich. I suggest that you read up on hyposalinity and quarantine.
Terry B

Do you have a quarantine tank? If not, can you get one? It doesn't have to be anything fancy...just a tank with a filter of some sort and maybe a powerhead or two. Put in a few pieces of PVC pipe for the fish to hide in. Anyway, if you can set that up, you can move the fish in there and treat them with copper. The ich will die out in the main tank in a few weeks without a host animal. You could up the temp a little and drop the salinity to speed things up a little. While the malachite green is often used in FW tanks for ich, I don't think it's an option for SW fish. Copper is your best bet...use it very carefully and don't ever let it get into your main tank as it will kill all your inverts.

Thanks guys but I really cant get a quaritine tank setup fast enough......what is my only option now????? :cry:

I had a quarantine tank set up with my tang when the crappy heater exploded. I was forced to put him back in the 125 gallon tank, out of desperation I started treating the water with Kick-Ick and fed him garlic soaked Nori. Well I'm happy to say it worked. It's been several months and my yellow tang is fat, happy and parasite free. I still continue to feed him the garlic soaked food.

Good Luck............Hec

Back
Top Bottom