Saltwater ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mistablitz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi people hate the fact I'm starting this thread but need some advice I'm a newby I have 90 g fowlr I have bought everything from the store including buying water weekly..they obviously don't quarantine fish as I have an outbreak of ick all levels are perfect and I have gone +1 on a uv sterelizer but I want to rid the tank of it ..i want to cure the fish buy putting them
In quarantine for 8 weeks till the parasite dies in the display tank...would anyone suggest hypo salinity ?

I think hyposalinity would be a good course of treatment. Just remember to keep the main tank fishless for at least 6-8 weeks, then you can be positive that the ich is gone.
Good luck!

Thank u so much for replying alot of people discondone the use of hypo salinity but I think eventually the fish will perish if not...my problem is I don't think many of the fish will make it as the are real small I have 4 clowns 2 black and whit a lemon peel dwarf angel a flame angel a hippo tang a dart fish and a valantini puffer I won't be adding anymore I also have a big clean up crew 2 skunk I fire shrimp around 8 hermits and 4 snails...is hypo salinity the only treatment Wich will work?

I'm in uk and here good lfs have hospital section Which new fish are quarantined in although they are more expensive

You've got a crazy stock list going on over there. lol
you may have some trouble with 4 clowns, i tried it in a 6 foot 125g tank and it only worked for a few months. The tang in my opinion really needs a larger tank.

now on to the ich. Do you have a spare tank you can use for the treatment of the fish? You can leave everything else in the tank but the fish. You can then do hypo with the QT tank. if you hypo your whole main tank it can kill your inverts and harm your live rock. Also, another option of treatment of the ich on the fish is to treat with copper meds in a separate tank as well. you will need a copper test kit if you go that way.

You really need to get the fish out to treat with either way, there is no effective ich treatment that is reef friendly.

I know I only do it to fish how long do I do it for would u say a couple cycles of the crypt should do it I think . Do u guys think my tank is stocked okay I have 50 kilos of lr

Carey i know the tang needs more room he is only about an inch and half right now and the sore owner and I are friends and he has agreed to take him back once he gets too big for the tank..why are the clowns a problem? And in your opinion do u think fish I have are compatable.when I say we're friends I mean I own a tattoo shop and tattoo him and he tells me all the things I want to hear..can fish of all ages survive hypo salinity ..yea I do have another 50 gal I can use for hypo but would need pump skimmer etc I'm told I leave the tank empty with bits of plastic pipe for fish to hide in

When it comes to clowns it's usually best to have just one pair per tank. I had 2 b&w's and 2 oscellaris in my tank. it was all fine for months, they even all slept together at night. The one day the female osceallris just decided it was time to kill the b&w's. It was really really brutal and luckily I got them out that night and saved them. :)

To my knowledge all fish can be treated with Hypo. If you do set up that 50g as a QT you only need a heater, a small filter and some PVC pripes for the fish to hide in so they feel safe and dont get more stressed. You don't need powerheads or skimmers. You will have to monitor the water parameters and do water changes when needed. it's a long process but it will work in the end, and really is the only known way to be sure its gone. :)

I wanted to do the hypo treatment a month ago but I thought I would try a uv sterelizer first to see if it would over power the crypt...but now I'm definitely gonna do it...I have a pair of black and whites there are a mates pair and the 2 true peculars get on well with them they also sleep together I will keeps eyes on them do u think the rest of the fish are compatable..also anything else u think I should do advice is much appriciated ...the most healthy fish I have is the lemonpeel dwarf angel fish he has ne'er shown signs of ich...he eats well and plays alot....

One other thing during the hypo treatment do I leave everything running on the fish free display tank or just the heaters

FTMMWS said:
hypo is the way to go IMO and IME,,i always do hypo on every new fish i get..It is safe and very humane ,,..
Leave your DT running normal ...
Read this on hypo,very informative
hypoOSTtherapyart.htm

Thanks I'm gonna do it and after I'll use the extra tank as quarantine for new additions if any or housing sick fish healthy again..thanks for the link very helpful ..do the fish behave different during hypo and how low do u recommend the salinity be in your opinion

Thanks how low would u go on hypo salinity in regards to specific gravity

When I started sw I had a huge outbreak of ick. But I fixed that really quick with a diatom filter. Not only does it kill ick fast but also that dreaded brown algae you get when starting sw. It's a great filter and I highly recommend it! It will kill any parasites in an aquarium (fresh or sw) also any free floating algae. They are about $130. I got mine from ThatPetPlace.com. Hook up is easy just like a canister filter. You just have refill/recharge the filter with diatom powder every month or two. A great investment. Don't ever have to mess with chemicals again. Also it will not kill coralline algae.

Thanks for the advice but I've been led to Beleive the only way to rid the tank of ick and maintain a ich free aquarium is to go hypo....I would love to try your way first tho...I bought a massive uv steriliser for the job which I was told would do it but to be fair it hasn't helped much

Uv and filters will not get rid of ich in a tank. A uv will kill whatever goes by it's light but thats it. the ich in the sand will still be there. :-(

If it were me I'd qt the fish and do hypo in that tank and leave the main tank without fish for 6-8 weeks to be sure it's really gone.

Thanks for the advice but I've been led to Beleive the only way to rid the tank of ick and maintain a ich free aquarium is to go hypo....I would love to try your way first tho...I bought a massive uv steriliser for the job which I was told would do it but to be fair it hasn't helped much

..or copper,,these are the only 2 tried and true methods,and you must QT all future fish ....

EDIT:+1 carey

Back
Top Bottom