Saltwaterfish.com ICK!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich42082

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just received my naso tang from saltwaterfish.com and it is fully covered in ick. Anyone know a good way to cure this or have a good instructional website to do this?

Do they have a 14 day stay alive guarantee ..Never ordered from them but i would take a picture and send it to them...
I would do a FW dip then QT in hypo...If they don't have a stay alive policy then i guess your SOL,,thats too bad that you got it that way

Yes they have a 15 day guarantee. I bought the instant ocean lifeguard that is supposed to treat the ick. I kind of want to stay away from the fresh water dip.

image-515508502.jpg

image-1258996174.jpg

That looks too big to be ick. Possible really bad stress spots and hlle. Wait for ft to reply back he should know more as I'm not 100% sure

You're probably right once I put the tang in the QT tank the spots faded away but are still visible. Going to leave it in QT tank for about a week and if it goes away ill put it in my main DT. I'll update pictures tomorrow.

Somebody that I know bought that same Tang and has the same thing happen. The spots went away pretty quickly. :) I don't think it is ich.

Ok well I would qt for longer than a week just to be absolutely sure. You don't want to chance anything. I have been battling ick for not qt fish for months . Finally broke down today and rehomed most of my fish and went fallow today. Not something i would want anyone to go through. Good luck

The spots disappear when lights are turned on. Looks much better this morning.

I also bought a brown tang and two domino damsels along with this naso. The other fish are already placed in my DT. I hope they didn't have any ICK. I just set up this QT yesterday when I thought the naso had ICK and I leave for a 5 day vacation next week. I don't have an auto feeder for the QT.

Do you think the naso would be fine if not fed for 5 days?

I have a salifin tang / Brown Tang / Naso / 4 damsels. 150 lbs of live rock. Do I have too many fish in my 90 gallon? ( 30 gallon sump )

The spots disappear when lights are turned on. Looks much better this morning.

I also bought a brown tang and two domino damsels along with this naso. The other fish are already placed in my DT. I hope they didn't have any ICK. I just set up this QT yesterday when I thought the naso had ICK and I leave for a 5 day vacation next week. I don't have an auto feeder for the QT.

Do you think the naso would be fine if not fed for 5 days?

I have a salifin tang / Brown Tang / Naso / 4 damsels. 150 lbs of live rock. Do I have too many fish in my 90 gallon? ( 30 gallon sump )
Oh boy ,,this is not an ideal size for any of the tangs..
Not sure what advise to give you except you will need to upgrade very soon..A large upgrade at that...Like a 250 gallon minimum to house those 3 tangs together ..

Instant ocean life guard does not.kill Ick I tried it on 3 Sep atempts ither hypo or copper only proven methods to kill Ick...that's not.Ick on yur fish

Crap, I noticed today my sailfin rubbing on the sand. It's never done this. The brown tang did the same. I have corals in my tank.

Does anyone know of a good way to prevent ICK?

Well I didn't have a QT until I thought my Naso had ick so I quickly put together a 20 gallon QT tank.

Should I pull the brown tang out and put it with the naso tang in the QT or is it already too late?

IMO, if you're going to pull 1 fish, you should pull all! Curing ich on 1 fish, while leaving other fish in the DT is kinda pointless, the fish will just be exposed to ich once back in the tank. And 2 tangs in a 20g QT for 8 weeks, plus other fish good luck!

BTW how big is your tank? Once Ich is in your DT, ya have to keep it fallow for 8 weeks to rid the tank of Ich while treating the fish in your QT. And unless you are going to QT EVERYTHING in the future, algae, inverts, corals fish etc, I'd just get your tank healthy

That means, feed a wide variety of food soaked in garlic and selcon, especially NORI for the tangs. I used herbtana and it seemed to help! Keep stock levels low, don't add stress! 2 big tangs, I hope ya have at least a 180g or so tank! Many people manage Ich just fine using these methods!

Obviously keeping it out of your tank is ideal, but there are options!

I have a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. The tang are small right now. The website I bought it from said minimum of 75 gallons. I plan on upgrading next year to a bigger tank.

Cosmo, just to be clear. You suggest I put both the brown and naso in QT for 8 weeks. Then Take them out and QT all my other fish?

I have not seen the fish in my DT rub against the sand anymore but just to be safe I want to QT them all.

If the naso was in your display your tank already has ick in it somewhere. All fish should be removed and treated in qt and the dt should have no fish in it for 8 weeks .

Back
Top Bottom