Saving fish from dead sponge help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dingodan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Had a blue sponge in my tank that died. I removed the sponge but my 2 seahorses are in very rough shape not moving lying around bottom but still alive. My other fish seem fine. I will try to do a 20% daily water change until they look better but i hope there is something else i can do but what? Put them in a bucket with a heater and a bubbler with 100% new water? Please help

are you sure a sponge is killing your seahorses? how long have you had them? i'm assuming it's in your 25 gallon reef tank?
most seahorses sold in stores don't do well in captivity. unless you knew for a fact that they were tank raised and eating well.

what is the temp of your reeftank?
what are the other parameters?

They were tank raised and they were eating very well in the month i had them. Tank parameters good nitrate nitrites 0. I know the sponge was the cause...at any rate...they are now dead

i highly doubt a sponge dying would kill your livestock. nitrate and nitrites are zero...you said so yourself. how did the sponge dying kill them then?

Sponges excrete poison into the water when they are dying that have been known to cause wipeouts. Some argue thats not true but i now know from my own experience it is.

that's the first time i've heard of that. if that was true, wouldn't every single new tank with uncured live rock be full of poison by the 1st week of the cycle?

I dont know are there small sponges in live rock? I dont know how the blue sponge died wasnt from air exposure but it went quick. Everything in the tank is looking good now with the exception of 2 corals but i think theyll be ok. Have done 4 20% water changes over the past couple days cleaned the filter media and put some carbon in it.

Back
Top Bottom