Scales turning white on a domino damsel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdaccord03

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone! I have a problem with my brand new fish. It is a black damsel (domino damsel I think they're called). He is a dark black but his scales are starting to whiten on his side.

What is causing this? My temp, salinity, pH are all fine. It's a new tank so its probably not got adequate biological filtration yet I understand? So is this stress caused by ammonia thats doing this to my fish? Should I quarantine him? Thanks in advance and sorry this post was so long.

JW

Fish certainly can change color when they are sick or stressed. It can also be completely normal as fish mature or even at different times of the day. Can you give more info about your tank--size, how old, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? How long has the fish been in the tank? Did you QT him?

Well the tank was set up yesterday and the fish was added yesterday as well.

My tank is a tiny six gallon Eclipse with the bio-wheel removed and the beginning of a collection of live rock. There may be too many fish in it. I havent tested anything yet.

I just want to make sure this isn't some sort of disease that my other fish will get?

Thanks,
JW

Most likely ammonia poisoning. There are better ways to cycle a tank without the use of fish. IMO and the opinion of many here it is a cruel practice that really is obsolete although still promoted by some LFS's. Perhaps returning him until the tank is cycled would be the best option.
Here is another cycle option for you.
http://aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Well I have a huge chunk of high-quality live rock in there. It was the only method of filtration in the tank at the LFS so the fish should do OK I think.

Thanks for the link though I'll probalby do that next time.

JW

5 fish in a 6 gallon tank? I didn't see that at first.
That tank is WAY overstocked and all the fish are in jeopardy. One very small fish is the max for a tank that size.

sdaccord03,

First of all IMO, you have way to many fish for a six gallon set-up even for a cycle. At most once your tank is cycled and stabilized it will hold 1-2 small SW fish. The Damsels you have now can get 6"+ under ideal conditions. I have seen them even bigger in a large display.

I would strongly suggest you return them if possible as they most likely will not last long in this setup not to mention these are very territorial fish.

Not sure if you are new to the hobby and I do not want to discourage you, but if possible I would look at a larger tank if possible. Even once cycled a 6 gallon tank will be tough to maintain good water quality without a lot of work. Most would refer to this size tank as a Nano. The filtration provided with the eclipse is OK for FW, but way less than Ideal for SW.

I would suggest 30 gallon or larger for SW. Don't mean to be harsh, but I have seen and read about a lot of people becoming frustrated and giving up because they get started off on the wrong foot. Do some reading and research and you will be a lot happier in the long run.

HTH,

Naw I've spent years in the hobby. I just want to get this cycling over quickly. I now have 4 fish in a 6 gallon tank. They have all found their territories. I know its not exactly nice to cycle with fish, and its worse to use more just to get it done with quicker, but dont get me started about humane, because even in a very large tank is not exactly humane but we do it anyways. I intend to check my water daily and keep this thing alive with live rock.

JW

OK, but more fish in that small of a tank will not really cycle it any quicker, in fact as they die off it will most likely only increase the time of the cycle as the bacteria will not eb able to keep up with that heavy of a fish load, JMO.

What are your long term plans for this tank?

Fill it with live rock, have like 2 damsels, a clownfish, cleaner fish, an anemone perhaps, mushrooms.

JW

Back
Top Bottom