Scratching Trigger - No Spots...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikebranson

Aquarium Advice Regular
1. This is a Niger trigger i have had for about 6 weeks along with a blue dot puffer, sailfin tang, and a maroon clown. The fish all get along well and are eating lettuce, formula 1 & 2 as well as brine shrimp. Water parameters look normal - 0 am, ni, na and the spg is at 1.023.
The trigger has some sings of ruffage on his top fin, and is regularly scratching himself against the rocks - other than this his actions seem quiet normal. The other fish act normal as well but i have noticed the tang and puffer scrapping against the bottom (cc) on occasion. Im sure i have a problem, but im not sure what..
I have read about marine velvet as well as ick - but i have yet to see any white spots develop - shouldnt the spots come before the scratching or have i misread?

TIA

100 Gallon Tank, HOB Skimmer, Magnum Canister

Maybe some kind of parasitic worm? There are many other things that cause flashing besides velvet and ich.

shouldnt the spots come before the scratching or have i misread?
Not with velvet.
I suspect you may have a parasitic problem developing. Keep an eye on their general activity as well as their eating habits.
Do you own a qt tank, just in case?
What is you PH?

PH is low - 7.8 to be exact
I do have a QT if necessary-
Eating habits remain steady...
This has been going on with the trig for about 7-10 days..

Might want to SLOWLY raise that PH to over 8.0. The low PH may be irratating him.
We can hope thats the case.
Also check them early in the AM for spots. (before the lights come on).
They tend to show better then if there are any.

Back
Top Bottom