Sea hare sucked into filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got home last night and somehow my sea hare got sucked up into my fluval 403 intake... He was alive but died overnight. But now there is a oily film on top of my water. I'm guessing from him? I know they release a toxin when scared. Hope that's not what this is. What should I do????

My tank is pretty new still and I added 20lbs of LR yesterday too and stirred the tank up a bit. Maybe silt?

Ok first off you need to get some carbon in the tank in a filter bag or in a reactor. Second you need to do a series of water changes, the bigger the better. Not sure what you have in your tank, a skimmer would really help too but not sure your running one.

likely the film is from the live rock addition and the death. Doing the above will help dilute and clean up any toxins present.

I'm running a hob whisper filter with carbon in the filter pads. Will that work? I don't have my sump setup yet so no skimmer. Nothing really in the tank yet just some mushrooms and small frags I was given and a damsel.

h8z2luze said:
I'm running a hob whisper filter with carbon in the filter pads. Will that work? I don't have my sump setup yet so no skimmer. Nothing really in the tank yet just some mushrooms and small frags I was given and a damsel.

I would use fresh carbon so a new pad might be in order atleast.

It hold two and I put them in 2 days ago. Should I still get new ones?

Back
Top Bottom