Seabae anenome dieing. Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betsy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am a newbie and wanting to learn more about my pets. I had two of these sebae anemoni. I got the first with two clowns. It seemed to do well for a few weeks and then closed up into itself -- like all the tentacles were inside and then it started to disintigrate. It was awful! I read lots and serached the net and became religeous about water changes and testing the water and cleaning the filters and finally bought another. It was about the size of a saucer. It did well but got smaller and smaller as the weeks passed and then it did the same thing. The first time it closed up into itself it came back out the next day, but soon it went back in and stayed there and the same thing happened. My clowns really miss thier house as my grandson called it. I fed it mysis shrimp and crill and target fed it daily -- to much food? Is that possible with anomonies?
I have a 75 gallon tank
All tests are right where they are supposed to be.
I spent a fortune on lights and was told I could have anything with my lights.
Salinity is 1.024
water change 10 % one week and 15% the next.

I also have another anemone (different kind -- not sure of the name yet but it llokd the same except the tentacles are striped and tapered on the ends -- plus they are so close together you can hardly see the body. This one is on the other side of the tank where there is more water flow. He is doing wonderful. He has grown a lot since I got him. The clowns have never taken to him or have not found him as they stay on thier side of the tank.
So it's just so confusing for me that one is doing so well and the other died.
Could it be water flow or ?
Help!
Thanks
Betsy

Betsy, a sebae anemone is one of the most delicate, if not the most delicate of the commonly available anemonies. They need a very mature tank with good lighting, good flow and excellent water parameters.

How long has your tank been running?
How much live rock?
What kind of lights?
What do you have for flow?
What are your water parameters, specifically pH (after the lights have been on for a few hrs), nitrate, alkalinity and calcium?
Do you have a skimmer, and what kind?

Hey Betsy. As Larry said they are quite delicate. They need a mature and stable tank. Make sure of excellent water parameters. I`m going to split your post to your own thread. It`s better if you just start your own instead of attaching to someone elses thread. I`m also going to move it to the sick fish and coral forum. Dont worry about it though as sometimes it can be confusing. Have a good day.

Back
Top Bottom