seabae anenome upside down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arsoncop4fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a seabae anenome that I keep finding upside down after I feed him...Is this normal...should I keep turning him back over

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

Is this a new anemone to the tank?

If the anemone is unattached, you should be looking why that is as well. Most times there is something missing or possibley to much water flow and no suitable spots for the anemone to secure it's foot. I would not suggest handling the anemone as it could lead to further damage unless in danger from PH's and such. They are more than capable of righting themselves unless the water flow is too strong and works against them...

I would also be wary of feeding them unless you do not feed the tank for fish. They will be fine with whatever they catch from that. Without feedings for fish, the anemone should only be fed very small amounts a few times a month.

If you give some additional details on the tank set up, age and parameters; we might be able to determine why the anemone wanders...

Cheers
Steve

My tank is less than 3 months old...58 gallon oceanic Reef, 4 inches live sand base, 20 gallon wet/dry sump, 500 gph powerhead, and a 200gph protein skimmer. 55 LBS LR, 6 peppermint shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp, 20 blue leg hermits, 20 snails, 1 sea slug, 1 sea hare, 1 serpent star, 1 sea urchin, 1 seabae anenome, royal gramma? Purple and yellow fish :?: .

I keep asking if I am moving to fast in stocking the tank, LPS seems to think no. all chemistry is excellent according to test performed at LPS. Seabea is less than 2 weeks old, and I feel that maybe he is looking for a place that he likes... current isn't extrodinarily strong in most places of the tank.

One thing that i have learned so far is that some uneducated employees of LPS have the interest of the profit in mind over the interest of the animals, or the buyers. I was told by LPS to feed the anenome 1 fluid oz of brine shrimp by syringe once a day....hahahaha to sell shrimp i guess. I see that this forum will be an invaluable tool in learning, expanding and enjoying this hobby. Thank you for your input and I will enjoy the feed back... I can hope that my problems will be limited and so will my questions..........Thank you for all of your help

My tank is less than 3 months old
This is way to early for an anenome. Most suggest a tank be at least a year old with many months of non-fluctuating water quality before you try anenomes.

One thing that i have learned so far is that some uneducated employees of LPS have the interest of the profit in mind over the interest of the animals, or the buyers
If you're already realizing this, then you are already off to a good start. 90% of LFS out there want your fish to survive long enough that you don't blame them for the fishes death, that means you come back and buy more fish. :?

as far as what to do for your anenome... i'm not positive. I don't think you have too much flow, but most would suggest two smaller PHs rather than 1 big PH. but as long as there is a somewhat diverse selection of flow rate in the tank (places with high flow and places with low flow) the anenome will eventually find a good place to roost (if flow is the issue). Lighting may be another issue. What type of lights do you have on your tank and what is your lighting schedule? if it is too little or too much it may be trying to find a place with the right amount of light for it.

At this point I would let it go for a day or two and see if it's wandering, if it's simply flopping over and staying there.

You said the LFS, says your parameters are all ok, have you tested them yourself? or perhaps taken them to another LFS? If you've tested them yourself post up the levels for us to see.

Back
Top Bottom