SG question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
:? :? I've been keeping my sg between 1.024 and 1.025 since i started my sw tank from all I have read here that was the "ideal" sg. My lfs said I should not have it that high since I don't have corals. He said I should keep it at 1.021. :? :? I need help, which is better for my fish? All 3 of my tanks will have lr and ls eventually so I guess all three need the same settings. Opinions anyone?

well a sg of 1.021 would be fine for fish it is better for them and they are less likely to catch some thing. if you have corals and such they need 1.025. and if you do lower it remember to do it no more then .001 a day.

No corals just lr. So I can lower it with no adverse reactions? On my lr is some sponge. Will it hurt that?

I think 1.021 is too low regardless of what your stocking. Natural seawater is around 1.027, if your not comfortable with 1.025 I wouldn't go any lower than 1.023 or so. Personally I would keep it where its at. Thats JMO. Best of luck.

Your LFS is probabley advising the lower SG as many still believe it will help reduce instances of parasite problems which is completely false. The lowered salinity is actually not necessary and will not keep your fish healthier. In fact over time it will shorten their lifespan somewhat. Keeping it at a natural environment would be better for the fish.

Any critters or hitchikers on the LR will eventually be affected as well. I would also suspect the coralline will not be as prolific or possibley bleach.

Cheers
Steve

OK so it's 2 to 1 for higher sg. Since I value my little friends I will leave it at 1.024 to 1.025. (Guess I need to start making time to go see Bernie more)

well if there is now good things about haveing your sg lower keep it at 1.025. i always thought it would prevent your fish from getting sick more often. but i guess i was wrong. sry

I appreciate your input, I'm by no means an expert. Just trying to make my fish as confortable as possible. :D

As steve-s pointed out an artificially low SG will shorten the lifespan of your fish. Their kidneys cannot keep up with the constant lower salinity than they are evolved too.

Hmmm, Sopunds like he was trying to sell me more fish :roll: The only reason I go there is it's close. It's about 45 min to Bernies. Looks like I need to just take the ride and get good quality help. Thanks for your help. :D

Back in the old school days, it was recommended that FO only tanks should be kept at a lower SG based on the osmoregulation theory. Since marine fish need to expel salt, the thinking was based that @ a lower SG, this process would be easier & less energy effortless. But the lower SG was much lower than 1.021, it was more towards 1.017 to 1.018 SG.
I have kept a 90g FO @ 1.018 SG & a lower temperature (76 degrees) for many years. I have since raised my SG to 1.025 based on more recent articles and findings.
If I look back, it did not totally prevent parasitic infection, but I thought it was less often. I always had large angels that would contract HLLE disease, but that was also true when the SG was higher.

Back
Top Bottom