Should I pull the plug on this one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
This sucks but I think it is time to take it out of the tank. 2-days ago it looked like the first picture and now I got this. Should I try to Iodine dip the Acan or is it too far gone now? I'm pretty bummed, this was one of my best looking and most expensive corals.

Attachments

• IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 80
Looking at the side to side photos now, I think it is pretty obvious what I need to do. All my water parameters are perfect and everything else is doing fine. I dont know, I guess it is just one of those things.

You can try the iodine dip. Do you have a goby that might have dropped some sand on it and irratated the fleshy part do you .

No, but I found it knocked over in the sand a few days ago. And then when I went to pick it up I dropped it again, only a couple inches but right back on the sand bed. The the next day I decided to move it up a few inches to another rock hoping that it would get more food at that location so I wouldn't have to target feed it. Too much stress to close together I am assuming.

I dipped it in Seachem coral disinfectant and put it back in the tank. Immediately it had clearish stringy things coming off it blowing in the current. I went back and looked at it 15-minutes later and the stringy clear things were longer. I just pulled it out of the tank and put it in a cup of tank water because I am scared of it infecting my other corals. Unfortunately the next step may be the trash can. There is even more white color on it now than you can see in the picture from an hour or so ago.

The second picture doesn't really look diseased to me... it just looks not very happy. I imagine dropping it a couple times didn't really make it too happy.

Personally, I'd just let it be and not mess with it for a while. Constantly moving it around or dipping it is just going to stress it out more. I sure wouldn't trash it... that's for sure. I'm no expert... but I just don't see anything diseased. I just see a really really retracted polyp. If it doesn't perk up after a couple weeks, then maybe I'd think about doing something about it.

Saw your other post on MsBeanCtr's thread... I just lucked out with my acan colony. Right place, right flow I guess. I've got mine mid tank in a 46g under about 200W of PC fluorescents - low to medium flow. I squirt some mysis and cyclopeeze on it maybe once a week. The greens in mine aren't as green as when I got it, and it was kept under metal halides previously - not sure of the depth though. (It was a LiveAquaria purchase.)

Hope yours pulls though... they really are a pretty little coral.

I agree that it looks stressed not diseased. I would leave it alone or move it an area of medium flow if it's not there already.

It does look stressed and im sure it was from being in the SB and then moveing to another location which will has differant light and flow would only add to the stress. You need to epoxy this guy on some solid ground to prevent your CUC from knocking it over. You might want to check on it a few hours after lights out to see if it opens then as some open at night. Heres some great info . GL..

www.asira.org - Acanthastrea

Back
Top Bottom