Shrimp and Hermit Crab died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ozzlil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I have my new saltwater tank about 3 weeks. 30 gallon, with live rock from established tank, 2 small clownfish, 2 small hermit crabs, fire shrimp, small peppermint shrimp, green Goni and torch corals. My water chemistry is perfect, all levels in range....but my fireshrimp and hermit crab died! Is it because there is not enough "scavenger food", waste in the tank?!?

What are your levels? specifically nitrate levels and what test kit are you using? Thats a really quick cycling time to have that much livestock in. Your tank is probably still cycling a bit and param's constantly changing. When did you add all the livestock? Same time? If so, the fish prob kicked up another mini cycle. Shrimp seem to be a little testy when it comes to parameter swings.

Are you positive they died because shrimp will often molt not long after being added to a new tank IME and they do look as though they died

Also, are you sure your hermit crab died or did it just find a new shell to live in? How mush cultured live rock did you put in the system as well? Having that much live stock in there in tank that has only been set up for 3 weeks is actually quite bit.

Back
Top Bottom