sick anemone???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tony1021

Aquarium Advice Activist
my anemone has recenlty been moving around a bit...last place it moved was onto the sand in the back of my tank and its all shrivled up...

guy at the lfs told me i have my lights on too long...he said i should only have them on for six hours a day...3 hours in the morning and 3 hours at night

i've always turned my lights on when i wake up at 8am and turn them off when i get home at 6 pm...

also did a water test and everything is fine

6 hours for lighting seems a bit too little. Think most folks run their lights for 10-12 hours. What size tank are we talking about and what type of lighting?

Tank is 55 gallons and i have a pc with 2 65 watt...each light has 2 bulbs but are part of the same ballast does each bulb have 65 watts?

I agree that your lights need to be on more than that. I have my lights on 10 hrs a day.You should be OK where you are now.

ok...but why would my anemone be all the way in the back of the tank where it receives little light?

going back to my bulbs do i have 65 watts for each or is it 65 watts combined for both bulbs?

Anenomes often shade their foot. That`s why they hide and the head will stretch out to recieve light. The anenome will move around the tank till it finds the right spot for it. Believe me with Power compacts you dont have too much light. If anything you dont have enough for anenomes.

so that means i have 260 watts of light instead of 130, right?

No... it means you have 130W - which is probably why your anemone isn't happy. Not enough light. And no... they're not smart enough to go find light when they get that stressed.

Regarding how many watts you really have... how many "plugs" are there on the ends of all the bulbs? If you only have two plugs, then you have 2x65W = 130W. If you have four plugs, then you have 4x65W = 260W. Compact fluorescent bulbs have two "tubes", but those are both part of one single bulb, with one single plug. And each plug is fed by a ballast. Hope that helps...

Back
Top Bottom