Sick anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do you know it is time to get rid of your anemone. I have a GTA. I bought him a 1 1/2 weeks ago. He never really opened up. He moves around the tank but becomes detached and falls on its face. Then I'll pick him up and put him back on a rock. I don't know when to give up on him. I don't want him to die and nuke my tank. I have read that when they die they can poison your tank.
Please advise.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here is a couple pictures

Attachments

• 1397049581463.jpg
    1397049581463.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 1397049595745.jpg
    1397049595745.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 117
Let him move in the tank where it wants to go is not bad often it is trying to find a spot with conditions it likes flow and light

I have seen them looking many different ways I don't think I would get rid of it based on the pic now I hope someone who knows some more about them can assist you more

I have a current orbit light. It is on for 10 hours a day. Checked my parameters last night calcium 390, mag 1200, alk 9. Nitrate on a test strip is 20

I sey up the tank 2 months ago. I bought the tank off of CL. It was set up for over a year, I bought new dry sand and used the old live rocks.

In my experience with trying to keep an anemone under orbits: unless the tank is relatively shallow, it's often not enough lightning.
Considering you say he's falling off the rock, I'd at least try to place him high up and with a medium flow. Because he's weak, a high flow wouldn't be the best idea for him.
If he doesn't like it up top, he'll find a way down.

Also, I've found that feeding too much, (or feeding them silversides) cause much stress and deterioration.
Do you happen to have a more recent picture of him?

I would not "place" the anemone anywhere. It's obviously not happy if it's buoyant and bouncing around. I would focus on water quality. If lighting was the problem, it would be attached and stretched out to increase surface area, not trying to get away. Test strips are not accurate, and if you intent to keep sensitive creatures, I suggest a better, liquid kit. If nitrates are your problem, which might very well be the case, I would be doing water changes and cutting back on feeding.

I'm sorry to say I'm pretty sure that he died. He was all balled up an no response when I touched him. I took him out of the tank and the smell was horrible, like it was rotting. I'm pretty sure he was dead. I have a 50 gallon tank last week I did 15 gallon wc. And every week before tat I do at least 7 gallon wc. Weekly. My fish had ick so I was told to feed them more, so I think that is where my nitrates were from. My fish are better and cut back to once a day. I feed pellets and frozen 2 to 3 times a week. I have 2 clownfish, 2 chromis, and a scooter benny ad well as a clean up crew.

Let the tank settle in a bit before you get another anemone. Clown fish don't need anemones, so you can take some time and correct your parameters.

Back
Top Bottom